Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stop-over on drive up to Scotland - Lake District perhaps

(12 Posts)
ketchupkisses Tue 05-Jul-11 20:29:21

Can anyone recommend a cheap/chearful family stop-over to break our drive to Mull? We have three kids (9,5&3) so we'll need a family room.

Thanks smile

Are you me?? I have kids of the same age and am off to Mull at the end of the month!

We booked stop-offs through Roomfor5. A place in Cumbria on the way there and Dumfries on the return leg. Not as cheap as I'd have liked but they looked nice. There seemed to be a few places around Penrith and the Lakes.

A cheaper option that we considered was a couple of Travelodge rooms.

ketchupkisses Wed 06-Jul-11 12:56:14

Hey thanks! Never seen this website before but looks like it will be very useful not just this time round.

Have you bought your Avon skin so soft yet?

NormanTebbit Wed 06-Jul-11 12:59:54

we stop here for a cup of tea etc and it's fine.looks like you can stay too.

DownyEmerald Wed 06-Jul-11 13:44:04

We stopped over once at the hotel at Tebay services on the way to Outer Hebs - still quite a long drive the next day. And once we stopped over at a Travelodge (I think) in East Kilbride - west of Glasgow. They both worked and were ok. But the Tebay one was pre-dd so I have very little memory of it. The East Kilbride one I remember because they had a swine flu cluster there at the time! Was quite easy to find and easy to get away from in the morning, they gave us good directions to the Erskine Bridge.

feelforcedout Wed 06-Jul-11 18:00:11

we tend to look on pod uk and book a pod on route to our destingation - its £30 for us all and FUN smile

feelforcedout Wed 06-Jul-11 18:01:05

pod tastic

ketchupkisses Wed 06-Jul-11 20:57:48

Thanks everyone

The pod looks fab. Looking into booking one for the return journey grin

roisin Wed 06-Jul-11 21:03:27

Mull is WONDERFUL. We went at Whit, for the third time. Where are you staying?

ketchupkisses Wed 06-Jul-11 22:57:12

We're staying here and friend's of ours are staying in a cottage a mile away. I can't wait!

roisin Thu 07-Jul-11 07:26:00

Fab ketchup! We've spent two holidays up in the north of the island at Glengorm. But this year we were down in the south at Croggan, so not far from there.

Have you been to Mull before?

Top tip 1 - Sea life Surveys wildlife watching trips from Tobermory. I know it's the other end of the island and I know it's expensive, but it really is worth it.

Top tip 2 - Look out for ceilidhs advertised locally. We went to one at Salen and the quality of the music was out of this world; an amazing evening.

Top tip 3, if you decide to drive down the road to Carsaig, go early in the morning as there is only space for a few cars at the bottom and it can get a bit tricky down there!

ketchupkisses Sat 09-Jul-11 10:41:35

Thanks Roisin & have a fab holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now