Talk

Advanced search

East coast - where to stay for some history and prettyness

(14 Posts)
ilovedplaydays Thu 30-Jun-11 10:28:07

Hi all

I have 2 nights free to spend around the east coast area. I do not know that area at all, and as my husband is not from the UK and we do not live in England I would love to explore that area and show off some of England to them. We will be in London for a week so thought we might leave there and head towards the coast to experience a real English seaside town - deck chairs, fish and chips and all! Also I see that Canterbury is in that direction (I think!?) and wonder if that would be a good place to head to also.

I am confused! Please advise!! Thanks

wearymum200 Thu 30-Jun-11 22:41:28

Canterbury is really pretty. Lots of history available in that part of kent: historic dockyard at Chatham, castles galore (Leeds, hever especially). Margate is an old fashioned seaside town if that's what you really want....
South of Canterbury on kent/ Sussex border you have Battle abbey (as in hastings), Bodiam castle and steam railway, Rye (which is a really pretty old town). Also check out www.nationaltrust.org.uk and www.english-heritage.org.uk

ilovedplaydays Fri 01-Jul-11 14:55:42

Thank you Wearymum. You poor thing - re name. It does get better, hopefully. Thanks for the places. Of course Canterbury! Would love to see it.

cazzybabs Fri 01-Jul-11 17:27:54

Norfolk - beautiful - Holkham, Wells, Sherringham, Norwich

usualsuspect Fri 01-Jul-11 17:35:22

I second Norfolk ,some beautiful beaches there

hocuspontas Fri 01-Jul-11 17:43:58

Southend? Not exactly 'coast', more 'estuary' but all the essential ingredients and the longest pier in the world! What more could you want? grin

jeee Fri 01-Jul-11 17:57:02

Broadstairs - beautiful. And you can do Canterbury at the same time.

hocuspontas Fri 01-Jul-11 18:01:37

Actually, scrub Southend, I've just noticed you want prettyness!

pipsy76 Fri 01-Jul-11 18:06:07

try southwold rathere than southend grin

DilysPrice Fri 01-Jul-11 18:12:05

Orford is lovely if you want the far east - the Crown and Castle is worth investigation if you have ££ to spend.

colditz Fri 01-Jul-11 18:12:58

Whitby!

Mollymax Fri 01-Jul-11 18:18:45

Southwold and Aldeburgh are very pretty.
Dunwich is close, very historic.
More inland in Suffolk there are some pretty villages, Lavenham and Kersey.

ilovedplaydays Sat 09-Jul-11 00:01:50

great! Thanks so much for all that. I love the idea of somewhere around Broadstairs - I wonder if that is close to Aldburgh? I will googlemap it. Anywhere to stay? - ££ do matter - we live in a very poor Ireland now. 6 of us - all adult prices at this stage unfortunately. Husband is Irish and children have not been raised in UK so would love to give them a taster of prettiness and our legendary friendliness (do not care that our reputation is one of reserve: each time we come to visit we are met with only warmth and helpfulness)

mummymeister Sun 10-Jul-11 00:56:25

I am with Mollymax. love southwold

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: