Talk

Advanced search

oyster or Travel card or what? Watford or Hemel Hempstead or other?

(7 Posts)
kerrymumbles Fri 24-Jun-11 13:31:51

Please help!

trying to take a very very cheap couple of days to london with the boys. we're looking at PremierInns on outskirts of town (Watford, Hemel Hempstead) that are cheaper and where we can park the car (we're taking ferry over)

As money is very tight we are trying to find the nicest, cheapest place to stay and get in and out of London cheaply for a Sat pm, Sunday and Monday in August.

Am very confused over the travel\oyster card thingie.

would great appreciate anyone's help.

smile

MayDayChild Fri 24-Jun-11 20:47:01

You have to buy them £3. You then
Buy the ticket on them usually monthly or weekly
Pay as you go where you put a balance on it using credit or debit card or cash in a local corner shop (posters in windows)
Buy in advance from tfl www.tfl.gov.uk
All kids under 5 are free for all transport. Over 5 need own oyster but pay child fares

MayDayChild Fri 24-Jun-11 20:50:19

Oh, you need to find out whether the train station you are starting from is zoned as if not they won't take oyster on train into city. You simply buy return ticket at station

So then use oyster for tube & buses.
Use tfl website journey planner as believe it or not, you can walk a lot of places in London and tube is v expensive. the site would show you walking maps if you tick the walk box under advanced search.
There are a lot of roadworks in central London for Olympics at mo so buses go nowhere fast.

ICantFindAFreeNickName Fri 24-Jun-11 20:53:19

Watford & Hemel are quite a way out, you might be able to get a Premier Inn closer to Central London for about the same cost. It could save you a lot of time & money.When we have stayed in London we have got a 3 day travel card which gives you unlimited journeys on the Tube (& buses as well - I think). I also have a feeling that kids dont pay for buses on the weekend.

Ruthiebabes Sat 25-Jun-11 22:38:29

I live near Watford/Hemel, and getting into London is on the overground not underground so its more expensive. £15 off peak return to London Euston. You can get the underground from Watford it is a long walk to the station from the centre of Watford.

My advice would be to stay nearer London, so you can get the tube from the hotel and use an oyster.

Premier Inn are usually quite good so some suggestions are

Harrow... nearest tube Northwick Park (about 400yards). Its on the Metropolitan Line tube and quick to get into London.

or

Edgware.. about 10 mins walk to Edgware tube on the Northern Line of the underground.

It will be about £7.50 for an adult (not sure about children).

There are plenty of other areas in North London, so check out the premier inn website and find one you like. Prices do vary.

Enjoy.x

kerrymumbles Sat 25-Jun-11 22:44:43

thanks lads!

i thought I found that a travel card plus watford junction was £14 and change for the day?

And you can get into London from watford junciton in 18 minutes? saw that on train tables.

thought that was close enough?

kerrymumbles Sat 25-Jun-11 22:47:43

harrow was over £225 for 3 nights. we got watford for 125.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now