Talk

Advanced search

Ferries to Isle of Wight - cheap options?

(6 Posts)
KorrallKrabba Mon 20-Jun-11 15:25:53

we're spending a week on IOW, accommodation sorted, but I have been a bit taken a back by price of car ferry: £84 each way from Portsmouth. Is this really the going rate, or are there cheaper ways of doing it?

Is there any reason why you couldn't buy 2 day trips for instance, which would be much cheaper?

We definitely need to take the car over. Tips appreciated.

DazR Mon 20-Jun-11 15:30:51

Used my tesco club points a few year back - don't know if this is still an option.

Lizcat Mon 20-Jun-11 15:52:14

With Tesco clubcard points you can not buy any of the saver tickets, you can only purchase full price tickets. Look at less social hours where not so many crossing have been booked we often go early in the morning or late at night.
You are however, crossing the most expensive piece of water in the world £/mile for ferry crossings.
Also check Red funnel Southampton to Cowes as well as Wight link as there is sometimes a difference in that too. If you have booked with a Holiday company also ask them to as they often get 'Island Rates'.

eatyourveg Mon 20-Jun-11 16:03:31

don't travel at peak times or weekends and consider going from Lymington or southampton, we came back at Easter on the 8.30am ferry which was half the price of the one leaving only 20 minutes later!

if you go to wightlink website they let you put in various options and give you the price for each

If you are taking anyone with a blue disability badge you get a reduction, details on the website

KorrallKrabba Mon 20-Jun-11 16:03:32

I won't have enough Tesco vouchers to bother with that. I had no idea it was so pricey though, i think i've only been aware of day return rates.

joydivisionovengloves Mon 20-Jun-11 20:53:38

Red Funnel is a bit cheaper, just paid £72. It will also be cheaper if you can go at stupid o'clock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now