Talk

Advanced search

Off to Cornwall on Saturday and the forecast is... cold, wet and windy. What to do with young children?

(7 Posts)
gastrognome Tue 14-Jun-11 20:08:48

Title says it all really! Off to Cornwall on sat for a fortnight.

We have a 3 year old and a four month old baby. Staying near St Austell (Bosinver farm cottages). Feeling a bit depressed when I look at the weather forecast... Any tips to make our stay a fun one nonetheless? Am thinking we won't want to go to the Eden project every day!

mummymeister Tue 14-Jun-11 22:01:35

Newquay zoo and aquarium are good and there is a brilliant indoor water park next door to the zoo. also a lot of the national trust nearby are v child friendly with lots of trails for all ages. Tamar valley donkey park is good for really young kids plus falmouth maritime museum, boat trip etc. bens play world might still be going in st austell suggest you google it as we havent been for a couple of years due to age of our kids. also tall ships at Charlestown and the maritime museum place there. loads of things to do indoors with kids. i know i have spent a few wet hols in Cornwall now! Have a look on the cornwall tourist board website visit cornwall for some of the festivals that are on too

gastrognome Wed 15-Jun-11 09:58:18

Thanks, those are great suggestions!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-Jun-11 10:04:48

Helligan gardens is nice, we went on a drizzly day with raincoats and it was fine. Nice farm shop.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 15-Jun-11 10:10:11

The Lost Gardens of Heligan are very nice, my DD loved them when we used to stay near St Austell (from about 4 yrs).

If you don't all have wetsuits yet, buy some when you get there (cornwall best place in the UK to buy them surely) - allows for rockpooling etc even on cooler days. I haven't been to a beach with a babe but I'd imagine one of those little popup tents would be handy.

Bens playworld is now called Kidzworld. TBH we didn't like it, very noisy but some people love it.

fireflies09 Thu 16-Jun-11 17:00:41

Creally adventure park - there's a large soft play area in doors so you can dodge the showers by diving into there! St Austell has cinema, bowling, shops etc.

Sometimes you just have to put coats on and go knowing that you'll all get wet! I've been in the sea before with my three and it's been raining at the same time but you're wet anyway so it doesnt matter (then we wrap towels round us and drive back to the lodge for a hot shower!)

gastrognome Thu 16-Jun-11 18:35:47

Thanks again for all those ideas. Much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now