Talk

Advanced search

Slightly cheaper alternative to Bedruthan Steps Hotel??

(14 Posts)
sallycinamon Tue 07-Jun-11 21:36:26

Hi

Looking to go away for a long weekend in July with dh and dds (5 and 2 yo). We live near Bristol so thinking about Devon/Cornwall or Pembrokeshire.
We want something 'nice' possibly a family friendly hotel or holiday park. We like the idea of having facilities on the door step so that is why we are not looking at cottages. Bedruthan Steps Hotel has been recommended but is expensive.
Should I be avoiding Hoseasons/Haven/Butlins or am I being a snob?!

Any advice gratefully received.

MmeBlueberry Tue 07-Jun-11 21:39:15

Blast from the past! We went to Bedruthan Steps for about six years running when our elder kids were little. Everywhere we go now, we always compare to Bedruthan Steps.

sallycinamon Tue 07-Jun-11 22:13:28

Yes, friends of mine with much older children who have been say it has to be done! Coming up at over £700 for 3 nights. Not sure I'm going to get that past dh!

MmeBlueberry Tue 07-Jun-11 22:19:08

What I liked about BSH is that it was a holiday for both the children and the adults. The daytime is very child focussed, ending with Children's tea and then entertainment (eg magic show). After that, the children either go to bed or to evening clubs, and then it is adult time - dinner followed by entertainment.

Most of the cheaper places we have been have only really catered for children and the attitude is that if the children are happy then everyone is happy.

mummymeister Wed 08-Jun-11 10:45:33

When trying to decide wherelse to go i usually write down what it is about the place i really want to go to (in your case BSH) has that appeals and put it in rank order. then when i am trawling the net trying to find something else i see how many of the ranked things it has in comparison. might seem a bit anal but focuses the mind! For family hols we always stay at Wringworthy Holiday cottages near Looe but not sure if they do weekends in the summer. They have a swimming pool, childrens toy barn, animals like chickens so a cottage can have things to do and not just be a cottage on its own. As for avoiding H,H and B. IMO you are not being a snob. see other threads - great if you want to be surrounded by lots of other people in a caravan but a heck of a long way from BSH. We stayed at BSH about 8 years ago for a weekend. Lovely but a real budget breaker. Good luck

Docbunches Thu 09-Jun-11 09:01:55

I would thoroughly recommend this place:

www.mawganporth.co.uk

We stayed there a few years ago, and it has been completely done up since then by adding yurts and airstreams (posh caravans?). It has indoor and outdoor pools, cafe, playground, etc. It's in a great location and very close to BSH.

I don't know what the prices are like though, and obviously, it's only Self-catering (but plenty of eating-out options nearby).

I love this area of Cornwall and have been going with my DC for years.

trixymalixy Thu 09-Jun-11 09:05:29

Oooh, Bedruthan steps is fab. We had a great time there and always talk about going back.

If you fancy coming up north Crieff hydro is quite good.

sallycinamon Fri 10-Jun-11 08:44:30

Thanks for all your replies.
We have booked the Sands Resort near Newquay as we got quite a good deal there.

Mawgan Porth looks lovely though so might consider this for future breaks!

Docbunches Fri 10-Jun-11 10:55:29

I was going to recommend Sands Resort as well (stayed there twice when DCs were younger and loved it!)....... so you've made a great choice IMO smile

Bluebell99 Fri 10-Jun-11 11:02:58

I was going to reccommend Sands too. We haven't been there for a few years but the children loved it when they were small. I preferred the fact that they had an early dining option where you could dine with your children, rather than have to settle them or use children's clubs at Bethruthan. Also alot of the children's entertainment is the same as Bethruthan. Hope you have a nice time!

Curlygirly Fri 10-Jun-11 21:35:20

Another thumbs up for Sands Resort. Also stayed there twice.

hollyround Wed 29-Jun-11 13:09:33

We have been three times to Sands resort and are going back this summer! We love it, you can hire (for free ) wetsuits and bodyboards as well as buckets and spades and windbreaks too!

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 29-Jun-11 13:11:09

How about The Hotel at Watergate Bay?

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 29-Jun-11 13:11:22

ah..

<must read thread before posting>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now