Talk

Advanced search

Website for best price London Theatre tickets

(11 Posts)
Kez100 Thu 02-Jun-11 09:45:12

Can anyone advise on a website good for buying theatre tickets for August, so not last minute. We will also want to pick our seat numbers, if possible.

Also, any recomendations for shows to see with a teenage girl and teenage boy. (Not WWRY, Oliver, Wicked because we have seen those already - although we may go back to WWRY if we don't find anything else because it was brilliant!)

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 02-Jun-11 09:49:30

If you wait until 12th July you may get Kidsweek tickets but they do go quickly.

Legally Blonde is great fun - might be a bit pink for a boy.

Also Priscilla but you would need to be liberal minded about lots of use of the f word and overt references to gay sexual practices. I have never laughed so much in my life though.

I either tend to turn up at TKTS in Leicester Square on the day or go for special offer weeks. Sometimes Encore Tickets have good offers.

Dh went to Love Never Dies with college, he said it was AWFUL.

ChippingIn Thu 02-Jun-11 09:53:57

Elpha - can you still get good price tickets on the day in Leicester Square? or with so much on the internet do you think you're better to book in advance? I have a friend coming from overseas and she quite likes the idea of going to LS and buying a cheap ticket on the day (like you used to be able to do and get a great deal!) but I'm not sure it's the best way anymore.

Also, did your DH like Phamtom/LesMis etc or was LND just not his cup of tea? (it's one of the ones I really wanted to see?!)

bigTillyMint Thu 02-Jun-11 09:55:36

You can go to the booth still, but dunno if it's better than looking for offers online, plus you have to go with what they've got at the time.

Billy Elliot?

Kez100 Thu 02-Jun-11 10:11:16

Thanks folks. We will definitely buy in advance (although prices may be higher) because we are, also, travelling a long way. Waiting until 12th July is OK though. I would love to see Les Mis and Pygmalion but they won't suit us all as a group.

Billy Elliott is a good one! reckon Phantom will be OK as well (didn;t realise it wasstill on!). We are all liberal minded, so that's OK - do you have to be certain age to get into any of these shows? (just son is only 13)

I think Legally Blonde will be a bit pink for son. He was the one who went to Wicked and really didn't like it at all (he is great at music and drama, so it wasn't an aversion to that.) Oliver he enjoyed and WWRY he loved.

We haven't yet booked our accommodation - looking at either a weekend break or a midweek one. May be best finding out deals first as, maybe, weekdays will be better. Then we can get accommodaion in the right area - I see Billy Elliott is out at Victoria. No point in paying for Strand accommodation if we don't need to.

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 02-Jun-11 10:39:40

Dh is a vocal coach teaching musical theatre at a leading college. He LOVES Phantom, Les Mis etc but he and all his colleagues agreed LND was dire.

With regards to TKTS it depends how flexible you are. I got a good deal on Legally Blonde and Priscilla there but they virtually never have Lion King, Wicked or Billy Elliott. I have ended up paying around £35 for top price tickets for the shows I have seen.

However all the times we have been there we were in London for other reasons.

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 02-Jun-11 10:43:56

Re age guidelines. The only ones I know of are under 5's not admitteed to most WE theatres, Dirty Dancing under 16's have to be accompanied by an over 18 and Avenue Q (though it is not on in the WE any more it is touring) is no under 12's.

I have taken my 7 & 9 year old to see WWRY (I forgot about the swearing eeek) and am taking them to see Legally Blonde on tour but I wouldn't take them to Priscilla yet (though they love the soundtrack) and I want to wait until dd is a bit older before Billy due to the swearing.

I would be happy to take a 12 year old to Billy and a 14 year old as long as they were mature minded to Priscilla.

Kez100 Thu 02-Jun-11 15:57:07

Great re:ages. My youngest, 13, is as mature as my 15 year old and would cope, I'm sure, with Priscilla. However, it's looking like our list will probably be Billy Elliott, Phantom, WWRY (for the second time). We only have two nights free for shows and they fit the bill for all four of us.

Thanks for your help.

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 02-Jun-11 20:29:40

There are some discounted Billy tickets for the matinee on 18th August here

http://stagecoach.eolts.co.uk/index.php?pg=72&action=qsearch&showid=1330&qdate=2011Z08%2318&qdtype=D&qqty=0&other=N

There are loads of discounts if you go in June!

elphabadefiesgravity Thu 02-Jun-11 20:31:43

http://stagecoach.eolts.co.uk/index.php?pg=74 Have a look here too.

What about Blood Brothers - (take your hankies for the end) I saw it on tour years ago - very good just a bit of swearing

Kez100 Fri 03-Jun-11 21:05:41

Thank for your help.

We've booked the accommodation (a Novotel at £100 a night inc breakfast for us all) and tickets for Billy Elliott because there weren't many seats left and we have got a family deal.

We now have one spare night to book a show for, a Wednesday, and we are going to wait to book that. Maybe, I will try the kidsweek tickets on 12th July. See if we are lucky.

Children are now saying see Shrek! So much for my 'mature' children comment! I did look at prices but good seats are unaffordable currently and their family deal is 6+ people not 4 (which is what we needed for Billy Elliott). There is so much that is good which we haven't seen, I am going to wait and see what we can find a bit cheaper for that night.

Must check out Tesco deals for our meals now. It's what we do to minimise cost.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: