Talk

Advanced search

Poppit Sands - how mad will it be in the summer hols?

(4 Posts)
PollFlanders Sun 22-May-11 15:46:35

Staying on a farm near(ish) to Cardigan, this will be our beach. We chose it because it seems to be big and allows dogs, on part of it, during the summer. Will we have to sit in someone else's lap in July? Any other rec's?

JenAT Sun 22-May-11 16:02:10

We have had a holiday in Newport about 10miles from Cardigan for the last 2 years in June. Poppit Sands is a lovely beach and absolutely huge. I can't see it ever getting totally packed but we have not been there in high season. It can get a bit windy, so worth having a windbreak. Very good for kite flying too. Also the tide goes out a long way but there are some good rockpools.

There is a wildlife centre on the Teifi estuary which has a lovely cafe serving tasty lunches. They have nature trails for children and there is a nice play area too. There is also a reconstructed Iron Age hill fort, Castel Henllys near Newport(probably spelt that wrong) which is interesting.

Newport has some nice places to eat, not eaten in Cardigan itself. If you have young kids Folly Farm near Narbeth is well worth a visit for the day. It's a bit of a drive though. The visit Pembrokeshire website has lots of good info. Have a lovely holiday!

PollFlanders Sun 22-May-11 19:43:45

Thanks for that, I do hope it will be OK, just having a dog with us does make things a little bit more tricky. We are used to going to Harlech which has a fantastic beach which is always utterly empty. The Visit Pembrokeshire website is good isn't it? Not been on holiday in high season since I was a child so I'm a bit terrified!!

pointissima Mon 06-Jun-11 15:21:23

Castell Henllys is fun. If it rains there is also a little steam railway in the Teifi valley and a castle at Cilgerran. Can't see Poppitt ever getting really crowded.

I think that the high season problem in Wales is not the beaches but the limited supply of places to eat etc: always book if you can

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: