Talk

Advanced search

Cornwall - looking for a nice seaside resort but not too busy

(16 Posts)
vez123 Wed 30-Mar-11 12:37:46

Hi, we want to spend a week in self-catering accommodation in Cornwall in July with our DS who will be 14 months then. We are looking for a friendly seaside resort with amenities like shops, some restaurants and a family friendly sandy beach. We would also like to be close to other places we can visit.

Is there a town/village you can recommend? It's such a large area and I have no idea where to start..

Thanks in advance!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 30-Mar-11 12:39:28

I went to Mousehole a few years ago and thought it was lovely. No great beach within walking disr=tance but plenty a short drive away. Nice place with shops and restaurants.

gramercy Wed 30-Mar-11 12:40:24

Not too busy? Ha ha ha. You cannot move in Cornwall in high season. Also people tend to book up anything half decent three decades in advance.

I know you have to go on the plane/boat, but for lovely beaches, nice restaurants and not too many crowds, I'd recommend Guernsey.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 30-Mar-11 12:40:42

And its close to plenty of touristy stuff like St Ives, tin mines, some really interesting museum about cables under the sea (it was actually really good, can't remember what it was called but plenty to do).

Pterosaur Wed 30-Mar-11 12:55:14

Coverack is lovely, and is relatively quiet, being on the Lizard. It only really heaves on Regatta day (August), but even then isn't so busy you can't get onto the harbour to watch.

It has a partially sandy beach (dark sand), with great geological interest (really!) and rock pools. There is a little harbour with a very good windsurfing school (kayaks, etc. available for hire); a pub with reasonable food; a couple of restaurants, one quite upmarket (Boathouse); fantastic fish and chips (Boathouse takeaway); excellent takeaway pizza, coffee and ice-cream (Archie's Loft), gift shops, pasties, etc. Also friendly locals, which is a remarkable thing in a touristy village.

I don't work for the local tourist board, and in fact am trying to persuade the children that we should go somewhere else for a change this year, but we've had three very good holidays there.

Cottages get booked up long in advance; we camp just outside the village.

Good, sandy beaches on the Lizard include Kynance Cove and Podhu.

Ormirian Wed 30-Mar-11 12:56:27

Crantock is lovely. Beautiful beach, some nice pubs for meals, not far from Newquay for zoo etc.

vez123 Wed 30-Mar-11 13:02:36

Great, thanks for the suggestions. Plenty to explore and need to get my skates on to find something decent..

cheesesarnie Wed 30-Mar-11 13:02:59

perranporth is nice,polzeath,charlestown(my favorite place in the world),falmouth(my sister owns a holiday let there!).

depends what sort of holiday your after-camping,hotel,b and b etc and what youre into-walks,history,sports etc.

Pterosaur Wed 30-Mar-11 13:32:19

Poldhu, sorry.

jacksgrannie Fri 01-Apr-11 15:47:56

We went to Portreath near St Ives two years ago and stayed at Gwel an Mor, which was fab. They have a good website and it is nice and quiet and good for small children. We did not actually go on Portreath beach but went on the park and ride train to St Ives - probably the best beach in the country imo.

moragbellingham Sun 03-Apr-11 15:42:47

cheesesarnie I have a pic of Charlestown on my profile! It was much, much darker and more ominous in RL!

Rebeccaruby Sun 03-Apr-11 16:12:07

North Cornwall is the best coast for sandy beaches. Polzeath is great, but busy, but Trevone; Daymer Bay; Porthcothan; Treyarnon, and Bedruthan Steps (if you are able to cope with many uneven stone seps) are good. If you are able to cope with the costs of staying in Padstow, Tregirls Bay on the Camel estuary, is idyllic.

Wormshuffler Sun 03-Apr-11 19:04:32

We have stayed in St austell, which was only ok as a town, but was a great central base for the south coast, last time we stayed in Tintagel which was a gorgeous town and a good base for north coast. There are loads of coastal walks around there. There is an amazing beach at crantock, but it is national trust and if you don't get there early the car park is full and you won't get on it. Another great beach, for rock pooling in particular is an Trevone.

onadietcokebreak Tue 05-Apr-11 18:49:36

Charlestown. Early July = bliss

mollymole Tue 05-Apr-11 19:37:33

Carbis Bay just outside St Ives - lovely wide sandy shallow beach and a 3 mins train to St. Ives - some very nice properties to rent within a few mins. of the beach

J05u4W1ll5 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:47:00

Try Black Rock Beach Resort in Millendreath Looe. Up and coming, but some accommodation still needs updating, hence, not too busy. Own private beach and sea views. Refurbed villas are lovely. Beware some have lots of steps. We booked through Hoseasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now