Talk

Advanced search

Will London be gloomy between Christmas and New Year?

(5 Posts)
admylin Mon 15-Nov-10 09:29:48

We're looking at booking a short break just after Christmas so we thought we might visit London (we live abroad) but have been told it is quite gloomy just after Christmas.

If we arrive on the 26th is everything up and working or is it still all closed down like in the old days when I used to live in the UK? Bad weather doesn't bother us as long as we have a nice hotel to relax in after doing the rounds of shopping, sight seeing etc.

Kbear Mon 15-Nov-10 09:37:57

There will be loads happening in London - there are ice rinks, theatres, the shops will of course be open, museums, galleries, river trips, parks, (St. James' Park (my favourite) for stroll down The Mall, Buck House, Horseguards, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square etc) don't forget Greenwich, the O2 arena etc, shows... wrap up warm and enjoy !

London is never gloomy!

drivinmecrazy Mon 15-Nov-10 09:42:21

We often go up to London on 26th/27th and its heaven. None of the hustle and bustle of commerce and plenty of things to do. Also love we pay no congestion charges and roads are almost empty. A Completely differebt feel to the rest of the year

admylin Mon 15-Nov-10 09:58:36

Thanks, that sounds positive. I think the friend who told me about it being gloomy (she lives there) is probably fed up and finds it gloomy herself.

Now just have to find the right place to stay!

katiewins22 Thu 25-Nov-10 12:21:33

Hello - I have been having the same idea - either few days in between Christmas and New Year or actually staying over the NEw Year. Have looked at usual Premier Inn (cOunty Hall) but prices seem to have shot up. Can anybody recommend family friendly budget hotel or apartment to rent - pretty central so we can walk/tube everywhere. K

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: