Talk

Advanced search

Please can you recommend a tutor in the Lewisham area for a Year 1 DS

(13 Posts)
Kayray Tue 22-Oct-19 14:47:00

Hello All,

I am looking for a tutor for my 5 year old DS who is in year 1. As a Summer baby I feel he needs that extra support compared to his peers. I know there are loads of tutors out there but I was wondering if anyone could recommend one, perhaps one that has helped your child. I would prefer for the tutor to come to me, I’m based in Lewisham in London. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Many Thanks

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Sat 26-Oct-19 09:17:43

I've got a friend who's a year 1 teacher in your area who also tutors - do you want me to ask her?

Lightsabre Sat 26-Oct-19 09:47:28

Have you spoken to the school about extra support?

greathat Sat 26-Oct-19 10:06:50

How about trying something like reading eggs and math seeds first. You can usually get a free trial and it really helps their confidence

Kayray Sat 26-Oct-19 13:34:44

@Lightsabre, Yes my DS is currently getting some extra support at school but it’s all inconsistent. I’ve also asked for extra work sheets so I can do with him at home but I feel he concentrates better with someone else.

Kayray Sat 26-Oct-19 13:37:53

@greathat, I have tried to teach my DS myself with work books, apps and YouTube but he sits for 10/15mins then wants to go and play. He finds any excuse to get out of it.

Kayray Sat 26-Oct-19 13:42:29

@SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo, thanks I may come back to you on that one. As I have found a tutor but let’s see how it goes thanks again!

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Sat 26-Oct-19 14:25:05

Kayray Okay. I've pm'd you her details just in case your tutor falls through. Good luck!

BlueGingerale Sat 26-Oct-19 14:31:13

He’s Y1. He’s only meant to work for 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

He won’t work for an hour with a tutor either.

ThanosSavedMe Sat 26-Oct-19 14:33:10

He’s 5, he doesn’t need a tutor

Soontobe60 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:37:47

I'd be very reluctant to advise a tutor for any 5 year old! (I'm a Senco). At that age, 10 minutes concentration is average. Worksheets are the teaching tools of the devil!
He needs practical activities, creativity and fun things. Take him to the library to share books. To the park to count the trees. To the zoo to talk about the different animals. To the swimming pool. Do jigsaws with him. Bake with him. Build junk models with him. Sing songs with him. In other words, do all the fun things that he might not do at school. Just save your money on a tutor.

Kayray Sat 26-Oct-19 19:53:26

Hi guys

Thanks for your advise. I’ll definitely take it on board and have a re-think. Maybe I should hold off until he is bigger. @Soontobe60 thanks for the fun tips!

ThanosSavedMe Sun 27-Oct-19 20:02:25

Have fun and enjoy all the amazing things you can do together

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »