Talk

Advanced search

Tutoring for 11+ how many hours per week?

(24 Posts)
CeeKay3 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:21:56

Apologies if this has been asked before... Am looking ahead to tutoring for 11+ in years 4 & 5 (DS currently in Y3) - am aware of ballpark costs per hour, but how many hours a week are people generally doing? I can probably only afford one hour per week - is this normal or pitifully low?
Thanks in advance.

Missmarplesknitting Sat 09-Mar-19 15:24:05

DD has 1.5hrs with tutor and then about 1-1.5hrs of homework on top set by the tutor.

hopefulhalf Sat 09-Mar-19 15:25:37

Dcs nos at grammar school but did similar

rosesinmygarden Sun 17-Mar-19 17:31:32

I tutor kids weekly for 1 hour throughout year 5. Some start earlier. They get about 1 hour of homework plus daily vocab tasks. I've had a couple get through on fortnightly sessions but don't recommend it.

I also suggest they do work daily in the school holidays.

Petalflowers Sun 17-Mar-19 17:33:18

Usually an hour per week during year five. Maybe nearer the exam mine did two hours mock exams.

JaneR0chester Sun 17-Mar-19 17:35:56

Mine had 1 hour a week of tutoring, and then probably an hour or 2 max during the week for the homework.

Our tutor had us (parents) mark the work books and papers etc. so that they could spend their hour teaching, we found this helpful.

We had the paid tutor from the February (of yr5) until the September, when they sat the 11+.

DNMummy Sun 17-Mar-19 20:36:14

Ds joined tutor group Jan18-Aug18, sat 11+ exam in sept18. As we were late starters, ds lacked confidence. So I would study with him Mon-Fri for 2hrs after school. He did 4hrs on a Saturday morning, from which he received homework to be done before following Saturday. He soon caught up with the rest of the group. It was hard work but I'm pleased to say it paid off, with a good acceptance mark. He will be starting grammar this Sept.

DNMummy Sun 17-Mar-19 20:38:05

*Saturday was a tutor group session, approx 12 in the class

DareClaire Mon 25-Mar-19 18:17:57

1 hour / 1.5 hours a week is absolutely fine at this age i think, especially if the agency or tutor you are using is one of the better ones. My nephew did 1 hour weeklys with triple flourish and got into all of his schools i think (he's at Kings now)

sam221 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:27:17

I used to get them to do about 4 hours per weekend and about 40mins per week nights (about 15/20 years ago) All went independents then eventually Oxbridge/Russell Group.

ScafellPoke Mon 25-Mar-19 18:28:33

None. As a teacher in a grammar school you will do her no favours

O4FS Mon 25-Mar-19 18:36:37

I did one hour, starting in new year/Easter of year five (assuming it’s a sept exam).

You don’t want it to be a massive deal, or for them to get bored. It’s practice and speed that counts.

Make sure times tables are fluent and reading is useful.

I’d always recommend doing a mock exam - set up as closely as possible as the day itself. Not for the results, but for the experience of being dropped off, finding the toilet, sitting in a strange classroom.

My advice also distance yourself from discussing 11+ with other parents to avoid it turning into a huge ‘thing’. And don’t discuss results day. In fact stay away from the playground.

I learnt all this the first time. Stood me in good stead for the next three. Glad I’m not doing it again!

Jennaweb Sun 26-May-19 19:25:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Wondergirls Sat 08-Jun-19 01:27:42

Hi all, can someone please please please recommend a really good 11+ tutor who can help my daughter get into NLCS or one of the top North London consortium schools?? She is a bright girl, currently in year 4 in an independent school and in the top groups for Maths and English. She loves reading and I really want to support her achieve the best that she is capable of. She needs a good tutor to guide her through this tough exams. I need a tutor who has a proven track record for getting students into top schools. Please can anyone help me? In all honesty, not just because she’s my own daughter, but she is such a sweetheart, hard working and organised and really deserves to get into one of these schools. Please don’t judge me or lecture me or tell me not to tutor. I just want her to achieve her real potential. I know her more than any of you know her and feel she can do well in the right tutor hands. Please could someone who has now finished with these exams recommend an excellent 11+ tutor for NLCS and Godolphin?

Thank you so much🙏🙏

Best wishes

MeMeMeYou Mon 10-Jun-19 20:51:19

20-30 mins per night plus a group session of a couple of hours on a Saturday. In summer hols when that had finished we tried to do about 45 mins per day.

MeMeMeYou Mon 10-Jun-19 20:52:09

Sorry that was in year 5. In year 3 nothing just normal school homework.

shortsaint Mon 10-Jun-19 21:03:28

Makes a bloody nonsense of the system. But do continue to perpetuate it. Or get rid of divisive grammars altogether.

Mamma1974 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:18:00

It's a really tricky one - we live in Bucks and it's such a competitive environment. Some people have two tutors - one for maths and one for English, some do tuition centres and some people have one to one tutors. With our daughter who took the 11 plus last year, I had a one to one tutor who she met with for one hour a week. She had about an hours worth of homework on top of that but then I did work with her also on an evening. She did pass and is off to Grammar school in September but I don't like the system that we have here. I personally can't see how it's possible to get through the exam without some form of tutoring. There is no right or wrong, I guess just do what works for you as a family and for her also.

Good luck with it all.

CeeKay3 Fri 14-Jun-19 21:13:51

Thanks so much, everyone - real food for thought here... Glad I'm not too late to get going and that I'm not way off in my expectations!

bamboowarrior Wed 26-Jun-19 09:30:06

One hour a week with tutor in yr 4&5, tutor homework is about one hour yr4, two hours yr5 🙂

ElevenPlusCentre Thu 27-Jun-19 17:06:05

We tutor children for 2 hours per week in a classroom environment (12 pupils). If you’re doing 1:1 tuition, an hour a couple of times per week should be fine.

During the tuition we introduce the main topics but it’s the regular practise of the topics covered, which ensures the children making progress.

mymadworld Wed 10-Jul-19 22:58:37

If they are grammar school material then some bond books & test papers done over the course of Yr5 should be more than sufficient.
Really pisses me off that so many kids have this massive advantage because their parents can afford a weekly (or twice weekly shock) tutor for 1+ years. I'd bloody pass with that much tutoring hmm

Kazzyhoward Sun 14-Jul-19 20:05:43

If they are grammar school material then some bond books & test papers done over the course of Yr5 should be more than sufficient.

No, the real problem is that the 11+ tests on skills etc not taught by the primary school until year 6 (i.e. after the 11+). That means if parents can't step up, tutors may be necessary. What would be fairer would be for it to test what has been taught up to the end of year 5 in schools.

tracystevens Thu 17-Oct-19 13:08:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »