Talk

Advanced search

Tutoring for 11+ how many hours per week?

(12 Posts)
CeeKay3 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:21:56

Apologies if this has been asked before... Am looking ahead to tutoring for 11+ in years 4 & 5 (DS currently in Y3) - am aware of ballpark costs per hour, but how many hours a week are people generally doing? I can probably only afford one hour per week - is this normal or pitifully low?
Thanks in advance.

Missmarplesknitting Sat 09-Mar-19 15:24:05

DD has 1.5hrs with tutor and then about 1-1.5hrs of homework on top set by the tutor.

hopefulhalf Sat 09-Mar-19 15:25:37

Dcs nos at grammar school but did similar

rosesinmygarden Sun 17-Mar-19 17:31:32

I tutor kids weekly for 1 hour throughout year 5. Some start earlier. They get about 1 hour of homework plus daily vocab tasks. I've had a couple get through on fortnightly sessions but don't recommend it.

I also suggest they do work daily in the school holidays.

Petalflowers Sun 17-Mar-19 17:33:18

Usually an hour per week during year five. Maybe nearer the exam mine did two hours mock exams.

JaneR0chester Sun 17-Mar-19 17:35:56

Mine had 1 hour a week of tutoring, and then probably an hour or 2 max during the week for the homework.

Our tutor had us (parents) mark the work books and papers etc. so that they could spend their hour teaching, we found this helpful.

We had the paid tutor from the February (of yr5) until the September, when they sat the 11+.

DNMummy Sun 17-Mar-19 20:36:14

Ds joined tutor group Jan18-Aug18, sat 11+ exam in sept18. As we were late starters, ds lacked confidence. So I would study with him Mon-Fri for 2hrs after school. He did 4hrs on a Saturday morning, from which he received homework to be done before following Saturday. He soon caught up with the rest of the group. It was hard work but I'm pleased to say it paid off, with a good acceptance mark. He will be starting grammar this Sept.

DNMummy Sun 17-Mar-19 20:38:05

*Saturday was a tutor group session, approx 12 in the class

DareClaire Mon 25-Mar-19 18:17:57

1 hour / 1.5 hours a week is absolutely fine at this age i think, especially if the agency or tutor you are using is one of the better ones. My nephew did 1 hour weeklys with triple flourish and got into all of his schools i think (he's at Kings now)

sam221 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:27:17

I used to get them to do about 4 hours per weekend and about 40mins per week nights (about 15/20 years ago) All went independents then eventually Oxbridge/Russell Group.

ScafellPoke Mon 25-Mar-19 18:28:33

None. As a teacher in a grammar school you will do her no favours

O4FS Mon 25-Mar-19 18:36:37

I did one hour, starting in new year/Easter of year five (assuming it’s a sept exam).

You don’t want it to be a massive deal, or for them to get bored. It’s practice and speed that counts.

Make sure times tables are fluent and reading is useful.

I’d always recommend doing a mock exam - set up as closely as possible as the day itself. Not for the results, but for the experience of being dropped off, finding the toilet, sitting in a strange classroom.

My advice also distance yourself from discussing 11+ with other parents to avoid it turning into a huge ‘thing’. And don’t discuss results day. In fact stay away from the playground.

I learnt all this the first time. Stood me in good stead for the next three. Glad I’m not doing it again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: