Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Help finding a Tutor

(19 Posts)
shelleyjelly Sat 24-Nov-18 11:01:23

Hello,

I have an 8 yr old daughter who needs help with maths and English. Homework help would be great too as I have smaller children and evenings can be chaotic. We are thinking of moving to the countryside however some of the schools we are applying for are oversubscribed and need an entrance exam. I think I need to find a tutor as I just don't have enough time sadly or the patience. No one seems to admit to having tutors so I have no idea where to look sad any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not applying to London schools so hopefully that helps. Thank you so much x

Lara53 Mon 26-Nov-18 11:08:02

What area are you in? Local facebook groups might be a good place to ask. We have a local Dyslexia centre who have tutors based there, do you have something like this near by?

shelleyjelly Mon 26-Nov-18 11:44:51

Hi Lara, we are in Fulham. I have not thought about Facebook groups before. Should I just search for tutor groups maybe? Thank you smile

Whatsallthisaboutthen Mon 26-Nov-18 11:46:17

There are lots of sites like First Tutors which are useful.

shelleyjelly Mon 26-Nov-18 12:41:06

Thank you so much smile

elliollie Mon 26-Nov-18 12:42:11

There's another site called Tutor Hunt which may be useful

Lara53 Mon 26-Nov-18 13:52:40

What I meant was for example where I live we have a * Community Board so if I had a question I would pop on there and ask, for example - recommendations for a tutor for 8 yr old girl etc

shelleyjelly Mon 26-Nov-18 14:43:06

Aw I understand, thank you smile

millefiore Tue 27-Nov-18 18:48:40

Sent you a pm.

grace17 Wed 28-Nov-18 17:33:01

Golden Circle tutors are all qualified teachers

shelleyjelly Wed 28-Nov-18 18:16:43

Thank you so much smile

April2020mom Wed 28-Nov-18 22:27:14

www.selectmytutor.co.uk

I used this website when I was searching for a tutor for my eldest girl.

shelleyjelly Wed 28-Nov-18 22:42:22

This is so kind, thank you so much smile

Fortiesarefab Thu 29-Nov-18 11:45:17

Have you had a look at Belgravia Education? She's a former head teacher and my friend said she takes on a few children each year for tutoring.

shelleyjelly Thu 29-Nov-18 12:16:17

Hello,
That is great advice, thank you so much. I will definitely take a look. Thank you smile

Hiandhowareyou Sun 02-Dec-18 16:55:11

Having read through all of the comments and messages re tutoring, I would like to throw in my tuppence - worth. I speak as a single Dad and a tutor who relies heavily on income from tutoring to get by. IMHO, the tutor websites such as Tutorful (and many others it has to be said) take far too much of a cut from each lesson. This can be up to a third, that is, almost £10, every time a lesson is taught. So for someone like me who tutors up to 200 hours per year, this is many hundred of pounds - for simply passing on an email address! I have recently come across a brand new website which is run on far more equitable grounds - the tutors charge less as the site does not topslice a large fee, and the tutors keep all of the money. For more details, I recommend you go onto the website www.findmeatutor.co.uk and take a look. As a tutor, this is a godsend. As a parent it is fantastic as I will not need to spend as much on a lesson for my children. Rant over and thanks for reading!

shelleyjelly Sun 02-Dec-18 20:37:22

It is great to hear about another website from the perspective of a tutor. I will look at this now. Thank you

twinkletoes999 Fri 07-Dec-18 13:59:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hiandhowareyou Fri 07-Dec-18 18:03:29

Try www.findmeatutor.co.uk
I have found two lovely tutors for my kids on there. It is simple to use and they don't sting the tutors for a big fee either so the prices tend to be lower that other sites.
Hope this helps
Paul

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: