Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

What are great resources to help my child's education?

(25 Posts)
Kate324 Mon 25-Jun-18 11:22:35

Hey!

I'd just like some opinions on what you think works best, whether you are a tutor or a mum. Where is the best place to go and what helps the most?

Joanha Mon 25-Jun-18 11:31:27

Hmm this is a difficult one.

I'd split it up into two categories. The first is learning and the second is exams.

For learning, I've benefitted most from Scoodle. Scoodle is a place where you can ask any question on any topic and it is quickly answered by Tutors from top institutions. It's quite helpful because the explanations are usually easy to understand and help with learning. I've also met a few great tutors from there.

As for exams, it depends on the age. But honestly, I don't think anything helps as much as doing past papers! Practice, practice and practice some more!

Beamur Mon 25-Jun-18 11:36:35

Generally, or with a specific goal in mind? (11+?)
If 11+, the advice I had from DD's English teacher was read lots, lots of different styles and types of books. Maths - times tables and a really good grasp of techniques, and definitions were helpful. DD's tutor also paid for access to Bond online resources which were really good for exam type questions in bite size chunks.
Reading widely also helps with VR as it improves vocabulary.

delayd Mon 25-Jun-18 11:38:24

Your child's teacher - ask them what topics your child struggles with and how you can help them at home

Books - it is widely agreed that a well-read child will perform better in 11+ exams, particularly in Verbal Reasoning, because their vocabulary is wider and their culture capital is stronger.

Real world revision activities - such as flashcards, mental maths games, and intellectual conversations with adults.

JasonE Mon 25-Jun-18 11:42:10

Depends on your child

Uknumbers Mon 25-Jun-18 11:44:28

How old is your child?

itsarap Mon 25-Jun-18 11:50:46

exam papers plus do them also leaders are readers.
I'd say better spend the time to do a bit of practice papers every day and perhaps a weekly tutor if you don't feel able or have time to cover everything. Some preps offer a pretest. Exampapers plus run a mock test too.
good luck!

Funwon Mon 25-Jun-18 11:54:14

Im also interested in this question...

audiae3 Mon 25-Jun-18 11:58:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

theactualyak Mon 25-Jun-18 12:03:05

Need a tutor ASAP for son about to start sitting GCSE science exams in two weeks! He's rubbish at revising and really needs some assistance quickly. SE London area

Fahya Mon 25-Jun-18 12:07:29

Is your child struggling with any specific subject at school?

EdgerHarris Mon 25-Jun-18 12:12:19

dunno how helpful this is but BBC Bitesize!

heenalbas Mon 25-Jun-18 12:14:18

Following

Same222 Mon 25-Jun-18 12:15:45

Ta3am Mon 25-Jun-18 12:17:42

I use Maths Salamander. It's American but free and so useful.
There are a few great free resources for maths on www.mathsphere.co.uk/resources/MathSphereSampleWorksheets.htm#Year4 and also a few good free games.
I've used k12reader.com a few times for some fantastic reading comprehension bits.
I hope this helps with the handwriting www.teachhandwriting.co.uk

Good luck

DN4GeekinDerby Mon 25-Jun-18 12:21:25

When it comes to looking for resources or methods, I tend to look around or ask at the Well Trained Mind forums. I don't agree entirely with the classical education philosophy but I've found the people there have a lot of experience and great at helping to work with reality, including considering disabilities, than to an ideal.

What helps for an individual child varies both depending on the child and on the subjects. Personally, I find little and often and having a child correct their own work/tests to learn from their mistakes has worked well across the board here.

tuyenu Mon 25-Jun-18 12:21:59

Student room is pretty great for these things

diyadiva Mon 25-Jun-18 12:27:14

Marking place.

Zecix Mon 25-Jun-18 12:29:29

There's plenty of free resources online but which one depends on the level you are looking for.

Manscik Mon 25-Jun-18 12:31:22

Agree with most of the responses here. You need to be more specific I guess

LARLARLAND Mon 25-Jun-18 12:32:05

Work on developing your dc's inner drive and curiosity. By the time they are teenagers and exams actually matter it will stand them in better stead than a thousand hours of tutoring.

hixohu Mon 25-Jun-18 12:33:46

^^

PodHeat Mon 25-Jun-18 12:47:00

What stage are you looking for? Or just general advice?

chloecheney44 Fri 27-Jul-18 18:42:06

juliekingg Tue 11-Sep-18 14:07:15

I can suggest Go Conqr, Khan Academy and BBC Bitesize. These are good resources for improving your child's overall knowledge base.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: