Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Protecting against allegations

(4 Posts)
crazycrofter Wed 11-Oct-17 12:04:09

Hi, my husband is considering tutoring, as he's a qualified teacher and successfully got both our children through the 11plus. However he's quite anxious about being one to one with a child and opening up the possibility of false allegations. For context, he used to work in an EBD school and there was an allegation against another member of staff at the time, so he's probably overly aware of the dangers!

Apart from having a DBS certificate, what else could he do to put his mind at rest and protect himself?

catslife Wed 11-Oct-17 19:48:03

I am not recommending the agency, but there is a free ebook for private tutors here which is a useful guide www.thetutorpages.com/media-room/new-guidance-for-private-tutors-published/19.
For primary aged children, it is usual practice to have parents present in a nearby room with the door open.

1099 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:24:42

My sons Tutor always has his wife or daughter in the house when he's doing lessons, and if he's going to be alone, informs us beforehand so I can stay in the house as pp said, usually sat in a separate room.

crazycrofter Wed 18-Oct-17 13:44:06

That's interesting - I'd already suggested that to him so it's good to hear that it's done by other people too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: