Talk

Advanced search

Latin tutoring?

(6 Posts)
tombstoneteeth Mon 09-Oct-17 06:52:57

I'm throwing around the idea of becoming a free-lance tutor of Latin, for students of all ages, in London. Can anyone tell me whether it would be worth my while to consider such a thing? Is there any demand among primary children, for example?

MuseumOfCurry Mon 09-Oct-17 07:09:22

I've worked with a Skype-based Latin tutor for four years now, she's seen both of my children through the Common Entrance (I should say, will have seen my youngest through).

Both of my children started Latin in year 5, if memory serves. I expect there's a fairly strong demand for children in years 7 and 8 as they prepare for the CE, particularly amongst those going to more selective secondary schools.

Our tutor is Skype-based and charges £40/hour, but she knows the CE inside and out offers more a managed service than basic tutoring, i.e. she identifies their weak spots and sets their sessions accordingly. I am not involved at all.

tombstoneteeth Mon 09-Oct-17 07:23:06

Thank you for the info, Museum. I'm very conversant with CE and most major Public Schools' scholarship programmes, so there seems to be a definite possibility.

Pradaqueen Mon 09-Oct-17 07:37:52

I'd agree re:Skype tutoring. My DD uses a Spanish teacher using this method. No need to travel anywhere and much easier as the teacher to schedule slots with prompt start and finish times.

MuseumOfCurry Mon 09-Oct-17 08:32:04

tomb in this case I'd say you're very well-positioned to tutor.

You might consider getting in touch with the preps to see if they have a need for tutoring support. I think you might even find that Latin tutors are slightly thin on the ground, good news for you, although this may well have changed in the past 3 years since I found my tutor.

My other advice is that you take charge of the situation, i.e. send reminders to the parents and children, set homework, identify weak spots (as I mentioned above), stay abreast of what they're doing in class, etc.

IMHO this is what separates a £20/hr tutor from a £40 and upwards tutor, and also a lot more crucial with Skype because the lessons are more easily forgotten.

tombstoneteeth Mon 09-Oct-17 08:40:04

Thank you again, Museum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now