Talk

Advanced search

Tutor agencies, which one?

(73 Posts)
Akiko Mon 22-Nov-10 21:13:20

I have been looking to find a 11+ tutor for my y4 Dd and it appears that I am late as the ones that have been recomended by word of mouth are fully booked for years in advance.
I am now looking at the option of finding a tutor throught an agency and spent all day reading and researching the list of agents in the Good Schools Guide and on the internet.
To make the choice easier, the GSGuide compares the service some agents provide to a lunch in Dorchester and others to a Marks&Spencer or an Asda meal.
The prices these tutors charge start from £25 and goes up to £40, £45 for an hour.
The "Asda" tutors are not been checked by the agency, they just list their services on the website. And then there are the "Dorchester" tutors that have all the relevant qualifications, track record, experience and references checked.The agents also assess, tailor your child's needs and monitor the progress.
Some of you may have used agents and may be able to give me advise. How far have you gone in order to help prepare your child for those exams?
Is it madness to spend £45 ph on a tutor?

skifunday Sun 10-Dec-17 19:02:34

We use Tutora, and both the tutor and the company seem great

localteachers Fri 10-Nov-17 16:35:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

localteachers Fri 10-Nov-17 16:28:17

Mastertutors Sun 17-Sep-17 21:42:41

MathsTeacher1 Thu 14-Sep-17 16:48:37

It really depends on the teacher. IF they are good and experienced then £45 is worth it considering the difference they can make in your child performance. However high fees and lots of experience do not mean it definitely works for your child too. The relationship tutor builds with your child is the most important one; I’ve worked for many agencies and now am working with one of them only. The disadvantage of using an agency is the extra money you should pay because the usually get a commission. The advantage is the safeguarding; They check the teacher’s qualifications, DBS and ID and some keep in touch with parents updating them which is very comforting.

Smilingshrew Sun 06-Aug-17 13:57:52

For maths, english, sciences, languages, geography a teaching qualification is important. I found her on a leaflet stuck on a local spar wall.
My daughter had an excellent maths teacher who was head hunted to the City after she helped her lift a couple of grades.

Smilingshrew Sun 06-Aug-17 13:54:09

I would like to make the point that agencies charge a fee.
Find an independent tutor through a trusted source.
I had an experience where I was teaching a tutee and discovered the child was receiving facebook messages from the maths tutor. This obviously shouldn't happen but can with either route if precautions are not taken. Do not wait for an agency to do the checks. Look online yourself as well. Surely your main concern is safety and successful help with the important subject(s). Agencies do not necessarily provide the best service.

ameribrita Thu 30-Mar-17 13:50:24

user1485438680 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:53:21

I feel as though I should update this thread and share my experience/input as it has been a long time. I was looking for an 11+ tutor and I was recommended from a friend to an agency called Bridge Tutors (never heard of them). Although her child was doing online tuition for GCSE and I needed someone to come to my home as online wouldn't have suited my primary child, so I was hesitant but I gave it a go because I trust her judgement. And I'm glad I did and I can only speak so highly of them and my tutor. They were so friendly and I sensed that they actually cared about my son's education. They were so honest with me that they actually informed me at one point that if they were unable to confirm the tutor they would not be able to help as they only felt comfortable knowing I got an experienced tutor that could help and even advised me that I could possibly trial other tutors from other sources and gave me advice on what I should look out for before doing so. First Time, someone wasn't just trying to consistently sell me and actually cared to help! Thankfully they were able to confirm him for my son. The tutor was amazing and had a clear understanding of how to identify my son's weaknesses and that was also down to the fact that they inform the tutors that they must first assess my child based on the curriculum, which I was told during our initial conversation. I think there are a lot of agencies big and small but its weeding out the one's that don't meet your criteria. You should ask: do they interview their tutors, has the tutor got a valid DBS and are they knowledgeable and experienced. The big agencies are generally a safe bet but the prices can be on the higher end and as said already high price does not always equate to quality. It can come down to trial and error as you want to make sure that tutor suits your child. This thread was made to help us parents make an informed decision on an agency/tutor that can help our children. And I realise as soon as you mention an agency you are accused of advertising that agency (as sadly seen from previous responses) even though the thread clearly asks "which one". However, the answer is that there isn't a specific agency that can help us just a variety of agencies that we have to make sure meet our criteria and then judge the tutor's effectiveness for ourselves. I just had a really good experience I feel they deserve some recognition. The good schools guide is a good place to start of what should be required of agencies and you investigate whether they meet these. I just thought I should update this thread as it has been long and its worth noting that although it has been a while since the question was posed certain things could have changed and certain principles still remain. I think its important people share there experiences/ review as it helps us that little more to make an informed decision.

Yara L

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 01:27:00

If you can find one, I'd go with an experienced, qualified teacher as they are likely to be the best at teaching. it is likely to be a bit more expensive but I'd imagine that 1h with them will get you further that 1.5h with a student or someone who just decided they would offer tuition.

mikulkin Tue 25-Oct-16 14:29:56

I am using British Home Tutors now for my DS GCSE preparation. Fantastic tutors, they all work in top private schools in London and we are so happy with them!

TotalTutorsLondon Thu 18-Aug-16 16:53:58

Jaimme Mon 08-Feb-16 13:56:58

Steph220 Thu 24-Dec-15 14:47:37

alejandramartinez Tue 17-Nov-15 11:04:11

stroller418 Wed 28-Oct-15 12:25:46

EmilceRees Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:21

dnantwi Tue 14-Jul-15 12:04:32

Hi all

Currently looking for a tutor for my two boys in the Kingston/Morden area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

skinnamarink Wed 04-Feb-15 18:09:23

Haven't heard of British Home Tutors, but you can find a Cambridge-educated tutor from this group: https://twute.com/home/. I'd imagine lots of their international people would have experience with foreign school systems if that's what you're looking for. They have an online platform for tutoring, so shouldn't matter where in the world you are! smile

S999 Tue 03-Feb-15 03:02:31

HAs anyone here used British Home Tutors? I am overseas and believe their expertise might be suitable for us.
thanks

ImproveTuition Mon 02-Feb-15 23:30:49

janeg12 Tue 09-Dec-14 00:51:25

VanillaHoney Wed 19-Nov-14 09:41:37

I have tutored both DC myself. If you have time and invest a little bit of time on your hands to research the syllabus you really don't need one and could save yourself a small fortune. We have put the money we saved towards a week in the sun in the half term after the test...

chloeannjanice Wed 19-Nov-14 00:18:02

helen343 Thu 16-Jan-14 23:01:26

In response to 'rd1709' and 'Ehhm'....i've used BlackStone Tutors as well as online self-search tutoring sites (uktutors etc.), and was generally far more impressed with BlackStone.

Firstly, they have no registration fee, so compared to the online website, I was £20 better off. Secondly, and most importantly the quality of tutor was significantly better; they sent an Imperial College grad. to teach my eldest GCSE Biology, and so far so good......he now wants to continue Biology for A-Level.

Of course, you do pay a little bit extra, but we're hoping this will pay off in the long run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now