Talk

Advanced search

Wheelybug - small or large?

(24 Posts)
treedelivery Tue 10-Nov-09 21:12:15

So wheelybugs......DD is one shortly after Christmas. Will she grow out of the small in no time, or will a large be waaaay to big for ages yet?

Am a bit confused after seeing this website

www.littlefishtoys.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=622

What are your experiences of these? Really wanted one for dd1 but got a like-a-bike instead. Which was our best buy ever. WOuld like one of these though smile

MoominMymbleandMy Tue 10-Nov-09 23:42:07

We got a small one for DS last Christmas when he was 13-months-old. A friend has the larger one and it will be much too big for a long time yet because the body is quite wide.

Our small one is a big hit and our eldest, 11, sneaks a go on it sometimes.

For a one-year-old I'd get (and did get) a small. I'm pretty sure that a large would be too large.

nappyaddict Wed 11-Nov-09 02:58:53

I got a large but DS was 2.

robino Wed 11-Nov-09 06:46:13

If treedelivery will permit me a little hijack - what about a taller than average 18 month old (as she will be by Christmas)?

nappyaddict Wed 11-Nov-09 10:15:05

How tall is she now?

treedelivery Wed 11-Nov-09 13:42:20

Mine's about a foot and a half grin.

PacificDogwood Wed 11-Nov-09 13:46:04

We had small one first, then got a large two! They are the best ride-on toy ever and are still being used by 6 1/2 year old and loved by all 3 DSs.

treedelivery Wed 11-Nov-09 13:48:09

Hey does anyone want to sell on a small!?? grin

T'is eco to reuse, and we are broke as I booked a santa sleepover at Alton Towers despite being on unpaid mat leave hmm

Lilyloo Wed 11-Nov-09 13:51:16

I have got the large one for dd2 and she is 2 in Jan.
It doesn't look too big and she is quite a small 2 year old.
However it has been put away for xmas so she hasn't been on it yet.

PacificDogwood Wed 11-Nov-09 14:48:43

<hugs small ladybird wheelybug>

You cannot have, treedelivery, DS3 is still to use it and I love it too wink!

MoominMymbleandMy Wed 11-Nov-09 17:00:45

If you think about it, the body on a wheelybug is quite wide and the toddler riding it has to have legs long enough to wrap around it and allow his/her feet to reach the floor to be able to move it.
<also hugs small ladybird wheelybug possessively>

treedelivery Wed 11-Nov-09 21:44:43

Gimme gimme gimee

grin

<<dons mask and stripey jumper, swag bag over shoulder>>

fatsatsuma Wed 11-Nov-09 21:53:34

Can I hijack too? grin

Do wheelybugs work on carpet or just hard floors? We have fitted carpet almost everywhere (not through choice) and I have always thought a wheelybug wouldn't really run as well on carpet. But it's not a thick pile or anything fluffy, so maybe it would work. What do you reckon, wheelybug fans?

hackneyzoo Wed 11-Nov-09 21:58:22

Tree, DD has the small one and she is 2.7 and still uses it comfortably...she is pretty small though.

Fatsat- seems to work ok on our carpet which is on the mildly shaggy side (well it was shaggy once many moons ago...)

PacificDogwood Wed 11-Nov-09 22:03:42

They are scarily fast on hard floors and spin round and round AND go round corners sideways grin! They work absolutely find on carpet as well, though.
And yes, I am a Big Fan, in case you hadn't noticed.

To use them properly a child should probably with 2-3 years old in which case I would go straight to the larger one. We had the small ladybird one first, DS1 got it when he was 20months old. When DS3 was born he "brought" a larger one for DS1 and 2 so he could have the small one when he was big enough wink.

They are not cheap, but we have had so much use out of them, for so many years, and they are great for a bit of exercise on a rainy day when DCs cannot go out. Would not recommend them for anybody who minds their skirting boards being marked, though...

GoldenSnitch Wed 11-Nov-09 22:07:50

Don't get a Wheelybug - get one of these instead.

Puffy is steerable, has better handles for holding onto, has a tail to stop teenies falling off backwards and becomes a cusion when he's grown out of. We love ours

DunderMifflin Wed 11-Nov-09 22:08:31

We bought the small one for our DS's 1st birthday (August '09) - our 6yr old DD goes on it a lot!

DS hasn't really used it properly yet but likes pushing it around.

Get one from Kiddicare.com - I think ours was about 35 quid.

PacificDogwood Wed 11-Nov-09 22:10:13

Ah, but does Puffy go round corners sideways??
<do like the look of him though, maybe better for littlies, don't tell my wheelybugs I said that>
smile

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 11-Nov-09 22:14:27

We have a small, and DS (19 months) terrorizes the dogs loves it! DD (3) rides it also, but only gets interested when DS is riding it!

stealthsquiggle Wed 11-Nov-09 22:14:41

We got a small one for DD's first birthday by mistake (chinese whispers as my DM bought it on behalf of my grandfather). We were about to swap him for a large one when then-5yo DS demonstrated that he could still ride it fine - and it was mostly him demonstrating which taught DD what to do.

My DC are now 7 and 3 and both still ride small bee much too fast round the kitchen.

JaMmRocks Wed 11-Nov-09 22:17:36

We have a large bee that DS has had since 2 years old. They are fairly wide though, and I've seen a small ladybird one ridden just as enthusiastically by children his age grin

MoominMymbleandMy Wed 11-Nov-09 22:18:34

Our wheelybug whizzes around on our carpets. I imagine the DS can't get the same turn of speed he would on wooden flooring but that's probably all to the good.

<turns up nose at Puffy> Wheelybugs rule!

GoldenSnitch Wed 11-Nov-09 22:18:35

He does with my son on him pacific

We got Puffy for DS's first Christmas (he would have been 9 months) and he is still a very much loved and played with toy now DS is 2 and a half. DS's legs are getting a bit too long now but he still rides him reguarly.

He even has a squeeker in his head spikes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now