Talk

Advanced search

Very basic board game wanted

(15 Posts)
chuckeyegg Tue 10-Nov-09 15:12:49

My DS is just 3, he has a speech delay but I would like to get him a very basic board game that we can play together.

I've looked at the orchard toy ones but there's so many any recommendations. (he is very good at counting)

MamaG Tue 10-Nov-09 15:13:40

why don't you get snakes & ladders or somehting like that?

bogie Tue 10-Nov-09 15:15:13

My son loves orchard toys games his favorite is cock a doodle moo, which is a sound game you listen to a tape and if you have the card that matches the sound you put your card on your board.

ABetaDad Tue 10-Nov-09 15:15:16

Ludo is a good simple counting game.

mathanxiety Tue 10-Nov-09 15:24:47

Candyland requires no reading. Bingo type games are fun if they're short. Ludo, or maybe some of these might be fun.

Candyland. Drives me mad but the dc love it.

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 15:29:56

Don't wake Dad is a fun game with the aim to get round the board without waking the little toy dad in bed in the middle of the board, It's silly and a bit tacky but dcs love it and it would be fun for a 3yo.
Orchard Toys do a great game called Crazy Chef where you have to gather all your ingredients for the meal on the board.
With both games, there are clear picture prompts and straightforward rules.

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 15:32:14

Message withdrawn

Oh yes Reality, Frustration! What a brilliant idea - we used to love playing that, I especially liked that funny kerrching sound the popper used to make. [saddo]

Guess Who is always a favourite too.

<goes off to add Frustration to Christmas list>

Seededbiatch Tue 10-Nov-09 16:21:33

Pop up pirate

Buckaroo

Both winners here and have been since DD was quite little.

WowOoo Tue 10-Nov-09 16:24:20

We've got a Maisy book of board games. It's a big fold out book.

They're all really simple. My son loves playing them....as long as he can make up the rules!

If your son likes Maisy it would be ideal.

sherby Tue 10-Nov-09 16:24:37

Cranium Caraboo <sp>

paisleyleaf Tue 10-Nov-09 16:26:33

I'm fed up of frustration in our house.
DD's understands how to play it - just hasn't got the emotional capabilities for a game called 'frustration'.
Try Incy Spider instead.

HuwEdwards Tue 10-Nov-09 16:32:51

Pictureka!

It's FAB. Big board with pictures of lots of stuff (sea creatures, modes of transport, lots of stuff). depending on what card you turn over you might have to find 1 particular picture or maybe 5 things with spikes or some such nonsense.

Honestly it's brill, we love it!

chuckeyegg Wed 11-Nov-09 07:09:36

Thank you all so much I got a lovely list for Christmas. They all sound really good. I love board games.

He just had his birthday and my sister wants to get him a present. I think I'll get the Maisy board book, that'll be great to take out with him and will help him to play with the other children.

XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now