Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Hot Wheels toys please...

(17 Posts)
tassisssss Mon 26-Oct-09 14:52:36

Ds (6) seems to really enjoy playing with Hot Wheels stuff at his friends houses and I'm wondering about getting some for his Christmas.

Anyone experienced in this? What's good and anything I should avoid? Do all the sts join onto each other? Best buys?

What do you think's the optimum age for this? I see a lot of it's labelled 4plus, he's 7 in April...is he likely to grow out of it any second?

Thank you.

cece Mon 26-Oct-09 14:55:07

the big tracks take up a lot of space; to play with and to store. good fun but you need a degree to make the track, or maybe it is just me...

CybilWrites Mon 26-Oct-09 14:57:44

Oh blimey we have bought a few hot wheerls toys over the years....and regretted each one.

They are always HUGE, they won't go back in the box, they are hard to rebuild each time.

TBH my boys were just as happy skidding the cars along the kitchen floor.

Kbear Mon 26-Oct-09 15:00:18

w a s t e o f m o n e y

grin

Ceolas Mon 26-Oct-09 15:04:34

cars, yes. tracks flimsy and take up loads of space, difficult to assemble at age 6.

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 26-Oct-09 15:23:35

We were given a set last year I think that they are cheap tat. They are a nightmare to put together, don't stay together, they are MASSIVE and awful to store. Better off with cars and a garage/mat IMO.

CybilWrites Mon 26-Oct-09 15:24:35

I think thats a pretty comprehensive slating

herbietea Mon 26-Oct-09 15:28:19

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Mon 26-Oct-09 19:37:22

gosh, i'm surprised as 2 of his close friends (with super sensible mummies!) seem to have them and like them. thanks though, helpful to hear.

anyone else?

hannahsaunt Mon 26-Oct-09 20:07:13

I can only echo what everyone else has said - bad experience and wouldn't buy.

colditz Mon 26-Oct-09 20:09:54

oh God they're infuriating.

They eat batteries, the track is made up of about 20 really fragile losable pieces, if the cars are the wrong weight they won't work, they take up so much spac and are awkward shapes to store - everything you DON'T want in a toy for a 6 year old tbh!

Furball Mon 26-Oct-09 20:48:17

I've come to say the same - cheap plastic tat

bramblebooks Mon 26-Oct-09 20:53:11

Horrendous waste of money that only ever caused heartbreak and frustration in my very expensive experience.

HTH grin

PfftTheMagicDragon Mon 26-Oct-09 20:58:49

To be fair, DS did want to play with the set we had ALL THE TIME. However, once we got it out, he cried every 5 minutes because the tracks kept breaking/it didn't work propery/the cars kept falling off and I had to come and sort it out 53 times in the space of about 20 minutes.

Our affair with Hot Wheels was short lived grin

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 20:59:18

Good fun, but also agree with everything said above: difficult to build, flimsy, impossible to rebuild if you've lost the instructions/any pieces.
Ours have been pressies and DSs have enjoyed them but I would personally not buy another set.
Hot Wheel cars are fabby though!
smile

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 21:00:51

Hotwheels is a swearword at my brother's place.
The cars are good. But not the sets/tracks.

tassisssss Mon 26-Oct-09 22:12:49

Wow, well that was fairly convincing!

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now