Talk

Advanced search

Quadrilla Marble Runs - Are they worth the money?

(11 Posts)
glencoe Thu 17-Sep-09 09:17:32

Hi,

My ds will be 4 soon and I have been looking online at Quadrilla marble runs. Does anyone already have one and do you think they are worth the money?

I also have a 7 yr old daughter so want something they can plan with together, hopefully without having to be helped the whole time!

Your views would be much appreciated.

iheartdusty Thu 17-Sep-09 09:24:57

we have one

It is more interesting and varied than most other sets, and the quality is very high. It's stable and sturdy, and it would last very well.

It's a bit tricky for 5 yr old DS, because there are so many different kinds of blocks, 7r old DD can manage it alone. When it's up, they love it.

but my DCs are not great on construction toys, they only want to copy the picture and don't want to experiment by themselves. A child with more confidence in building would get more out of it.

glencoe Thu 17-Sep-09 20:04:04

Thanks for the info. Out of interest, which set did you buy iheartdusty?

iheartdusty Thu 17-Sep-09 21:02:35

we have this one

I would definitely buy it again.

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 17-Sep-09 21:14:24

We recently asked gparents to buy one for ds for his 6th birthday. Their budget doesn't run to Quadrilla and we wanted a set that he could construct by himself. We found this one and he is really very pleased with it: mulberrybush. And 8 year old dd has also enjoyed playing with it too.

nevergoogledragonbutter Thu 17-Sep-09 21:21:24

We have the quadrilla basic set with a few extra bits.
DS1 was 3 when we got it so too young IMO to be able to build it properly but loves playing with it.
We found his other 3 year old friends to be very clumsy and always knocked it over immediately.

I guess it depends on the patience of the children.

It comes with a little instruction booklet of variations you can make with the kit, but ideally the idea is to design your own marble run.

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 17-Sep-09 21:32:04

We have a marble run that we found for £20 in tk maxx - our particulular one doesnt seem to be available anymore

My kids love ours but they arent great at designing their own marble rubs tbh - definitely a toy to get down on the floor and join in with

The sound the marbles make when they clatter along is fab

The quadrilla ones are fab but I doubt they are £75 fab!

Definitely a toy to keep for the grandchildren though, so maybe the investment will be worth it

glencoe Thu 17-Sep-09 21:56:07

It's dh birthday the day after ds so I am feeling tempted to treat them to a quadrilla set as a joint present!

ds is an engineer of the future and takes great pleasure in inventing things and finding out how they work so I am currently thinking it may be worth getting a decent set.

I have already bought the £20 elc version and put it away for his birthday but I think I may take it back for a refund!

glencoe Thu 17-Sep-09 22:02:55

on second thoughts, the best option from what you have said so far is to make regular visits to tk maxx (my favourite shop so that will be no hardship ) in the hope that they have quadrilla sets at half price before his birthday.

What do you think the chances of that are? hmm

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 17-Sep-09 22:29:15

I bought ours from tk maxx at least five years ago but it is just the sort of thing that will turn up in tk maxx occasionally - worth a go

glencoe Mon 21-Sep-09 12:19:22

Unless anyone has a second hand Quadrilla set that they are looking to sell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now