Talk

Advanced search

If you're not keen on games consoles for children come here ....

(20 Posts)
nappyaddict Fri 11-Sep-09 22:56:50

If you wouldn't allow a standard games console would you allow any of these instead?

1) http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/leapfrog-leapster-2-green/ Leapfrog Leapster]]

2) Leapfrog My First Computer

3) V smile pocket

4) V smile

5) V motion

6) Playskool Dance Cam

7) Little Tikes Console

8) Smart Cycle

nappyaddict Fri 11-Sep-09 22:58:18

Sorry first one should be

Leapfrog Leapster

nancy75 Fri 11-Sep-09 23:02:32

i would prefer not to get any of them, not really a case of allow, if my dd played on one at someone elses house and loved it i might buy one, but until she does it's not something i would buy her iyswim?

MaryBS Fri 11-Sep-09 23:03:33

We went for the leapster.

BuckRogers Fri 11-Sep-09 23:04:20

I actually have no idea about the detailing of each of them but I understand the basic premise of leapfrog and I wouldn't buy it for mine.

I just don't like the idea of them interacting with a computer intensly but then they don't watch much TV either.

The time will come I'm sure but whilst all 3 are young (5,3 & 1) I'd rather they climbed the tress in the garden and rode their bikes.

BuckRogers Fri 11-Sep-09 23:05:24

trees

deepdarkwood Fri 11-Sep-09 23:05:57

why bother with any of them
<luddite>

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Fri 11-Sep-09 23:05:59

I'd second BuckRogers' post. smile

Mine are 7 and 5 and the time hasn't come yet. I'll deal with it when it does, but I'm not going to press electronic entertainment on them.

nappyaddict Fri 11-Sep-09 23:08:12

Nancy, Buck, Deep, Kirstie

What about the Dance Camera which is more of a video camera than a games console?

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 11-Sep-09 23:10:06

I am confused by your thread nappy addict sorry!

IMHO any parent not keen on games consoles wouldnt be keen on any of those either

because they are in essence games consoles

BuckRogers Fri 11-Sep-09 23:11:55

What about a wooden abacus instead?

Or the mini wheelbarrow and gardening kit my DS loves so much? wink

BuckRogers Fri 11-Sep-09 23:14:26

Or a nice jigsaw? The nice wooden ones have lasted through all 3 of mine.

Or some of the Orchard Toys games? grin

nancy75 Fri 11-Sep-09 23:15:57

still not that keen, dd just dances to music anyway, dont really see the point of it.
its not really about whether she is active or not, its more the tv aspect of it - we can dance to a cd in the kitchen, together and its funny, i dont really need it to be on tv. i'm not really explaining myself very well, but i know what i mean! it feels like buying stuff for the sake of having stuff

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 11-Sep-09 23:17:52

Instead of the playskool dance cam why not just get some nice cds and a mirror?

That little boy is spinning around endlessly - my ds does that without an expensive gadget

Books, jigsaws, games, dressing up clothes, trampoline, scooter - heaven for my two

nappyaddict Fri 11-Sep-09 23:29:50

Ooooh a mirror is a good idea why didn't I think of that!!

purepurple Sun 13-Sep-09 08:00:52

Sorry, don't like any of them grin
When I saw the lettle boy spinning around on youtube, I have to admit, I instantly thought "Why not save yourself some money and do it in front of the mirror?"
The one with the bike in front of the TV makes me feel very sad that there are parents who would buy that for their child instead of getting them a real bike and taking them outside.
All of these gadgets are very expensive and totally unnecessary.
Children will learn much more from being around adults who are interested in them, who can play with them and give them their undivided attention.
If you want your child to use a computer, then use a real one, sit with them and show them how to do it properly. That's how children learn.
Children really don't need expensive gadgets like these. They would have more fun with the box it came in!

nappyaddict Tue 29-Sep-09 03:18:37

what do you think about this?

nooka Tue 29-Sep-09 05:33:39

Thing is a lot of those things are really substandard consoles. For example dh bought ds a Leapster, and it really was just quite crap - much better to play a few games on the PC at that age if you feel the need. The plus point being that you don't need to buy any special bits of gear, and there are plenty of child friendly games you can play on line for free.

That bike in particular is slightly bizarre - why on earth woudl you get a child an exercise bike? Take him outside!

nappyaddict Tue 13-Oct-09 21:06:10

Saw this today as well.

nappyaddict Tue 27-Oct-09 04:16:44

Also seen this

There's a lot more of these things out there than I originally thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now