Need a similar or another alternative

(2 Posts)
Redruby2020 Sat 10-Apr-21 14:48:58

Hi, so my DC is over 3 now, loves my phone, and although it seemed a good idea at the time, I am aware of course that it is not good for him to be on it a lot, it's Children’s stuff and videos/music on YouTube, a lot of Peppa Pig 😀
It has been great to keep distracted indoors, especially when I need a breather or got stuff to do, I don't feel bad about this as I am a single parent right now.
But it also means I have to give my phone up which I need especially at the moment for lots of different things, plus we have no radio or tv, so I like to also play music on it whilst doing cooking/housework etc, then he's running it down before we go out, as it's been helpful to use whilst getting ready to leave the house, not good thar I then have to leave with a flat battery. I want to find something else DC can use instead, I didn't want to have to go down the route of getting a tablet etc, as plus I wouldn't have a way of connecting it to the internet anyway. I don't think DC will go for one of these kid screens I've seen, which look like a tablet but you just press the squares and they play things, other things I've seen have a small display. So it's finding something electronic plus a few extra things that DC can do indoors, also becoming torture now 7 days a week on my own, for 3 years, can not wait for nursery to start which will only be a few hours a day, but it's a start 🤦‍♀️😳

OP’s posts: |
Fivemoreminutes1 Sat 10-Apr-21 15:19:23

I definitely recommend an Aquadoodle mat. It’s no mess and easily transportable. Likewise for Kinetic Sand and the Melissa and Doug reusable sticker pads.
My DS used to like giant floor puzzles (we had the Galt ones), ELC Built It and the Playdoh kitchen creations sets.
The only thing I can suggest instead of a tablet is an old Nintendo DS with some simple games like Nintendogs and Mario Kart

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in