Talk

Advanced search

Yoto Player vs Toniebox vs??

(4 Posts)
bravefox Mon 07-Sep-20 12:17:19

Have been looking at these for our DD 4th bday. Lots of reviews online but they all feel a bit 'influencer'-esque (the type where they're given it for free and only talk about positives). Can't find anything directly comparing them either.

Does anybody have experience of either and ideally a comparison? Are there any alternatives?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Elbowgreaseneeded Fri 11-Sep-20 22:58:08

I've bought the yoto play for my daughter but lots of friends have the tonie just because it's more widely known.

I decided on it because although the tonies are really cute they are so expensive, e.g. I could get 10 "make your own" yoto cards for the price of 1 creative tonie pretty much and yoto has a much bigger selection of stories and it has the other features like the radio, clock, Wi-Fi speaker and I felt like it was less geared towards little kids so she'd maybe get more use out of it.

What I don't like is how easy it is to lose the cards as they come loose and are the size of a credit card. Luckily the stories are also on your app once you've bought them so you can listen to them through that but I'm considering drilling a hole through the corners of the cards and tying them with ribbon or something. I'm a bit worried I'll hit the chip inside and destroy them though so dunno.

(If you do go for the yoto I have a referral code for £10 off a player which is FRIEND-DRBQRN6)

bravefox Sat 12-Sep-20 22:23:21

Hello @Elbowgreaseneeded - thank you so much for taking the time to reply - that's really really helpful. Much appreciated.

I like the sound of the Yoto but DP is firmly in the Tonie camp!

Does the Yoto feel like it's built to last?

OP’s posts: |
Elbowgreaseneeded Fri 25-Sep-20 20:27:00

Ah it's hard to decide. They are both great concepts.

Yes I'd say the yoto is built to last, it's really solid and I would say it is probably more versatile for older kids as it has the daily podcast/ kids radio/ clock/ bluetooth speaker function as well.
The toniebox is more squishy though so would maybe take being chucked around by a toddler a bit better and the tonies are more visually appealing and tactile.

The yoto cards are credit card sized hard plastic so are pretty indestructible but definately easier to loose but again would probably have more longevity as they are a bit more grown up for older kids.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in