Talk

Advanced search

Electric Lego

(4 Posts)
Mol1628 Fri 12-Jun-20 07:17:46

My 5 yo wants ‘electric Lego’ for his birthday. He’s very creative and builds his own models so I don’t want a set with a specific item to build. He is very good with Lego and builds the 8 plus stuff.

If I just bought a ‘technic’ bundle on eBay and a motor would this be enough to make moving models?

Seems like I can’t get power functions stuff without buying a model for £100+

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
safariboot Fri 19-Jun-20 21:44:02

You'd need some axles, gears, and so on too I think if he doesn't already have them. If he already has some, then you could get a battery box and a motor or two relatively cheaply. www.lego.com/en-gb/themes/power-functions

Just watch out there's two systems Lego have now. The older "Power Functions" have connectors that look like lego bricks and can be controlled manually or by a remote control. The new "Powered Up" have connectors that look a bit like a network cable and need to plug into a fairly expensive "hub" that's controlled from a phone or tablet.

Mol1628 Sun 21-Jun-20 22:45:58

Thanks very much for your reply that’s really really helpful.
He’s got a few axles and gears but would probably need more I might get a bundle from eBay then one of the power sets

Thanks for warning me of the difference as well. Definitely after the older style.

Mol1628 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:22:57

My dad (huge Lego fan!) bought him Lego ‘systems’ which he says is from the 80s and he found it on eBay. It’s just a motor and battery pack with a few wheels and gears. He is over the moon with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »