Talk

Advanced search

Safe jumperoo alternatives

(10 Posts)
Mrsfucktrumpet Sun 19-Nov-17 11:59:28

Hi

I've been reading about how using jumperoos damages a babies developing legs/hips due to tip toe walking and sitting before ready etc.

My lo will be 4 months come Christmas, and whilst i know this is still to early for a jumperoo, i was looking to buy something for when she is ready.

So does anyone know of safer alternatives to the jumperoo?

kittydetective Sun 19-Nov-17 12:00:23

Jumperoo is perfectly safe

Mrsfucktrumpet Sun 19-Nov-17 12:04:40

Hi kitty from what ive been reading physios and the like aren't fans due to the design and impact on joints/hips/walking development.

Im not trying to be critical of anyone who has them, as i can also see their benefits, just wondering if there was an alternative that people can recommend .smile

ElenaBothari Sat 09-Dec-17 19:07:54

I have serious joint problems so see a physio every week, and asked them about the jumperoo.

They said 20 mins twice a day is safe and any more than that is a problem.

However there really isn't anything else they recommend that's similar - anything that encourages your child to bounce/sits them up/stands them up is a risk to their hips.

Do they already have a baby gym? If so maybe just more hanging toys for that?

chocolateorangeowls Sat 09-Dec-17 19:10:36

As far as I understand it, it is how long they are in there that is the issue. My HV said 15-20 mins a day is fine. All day is not fine. I think it is the same for anything that holds them in a certain position.

DearMrDilkington Sat 09-Dec-17 19:11:24

Anything similar to a jumperoo will have the same issues.

Get one of those toys that pop balls in the air, baby will enjoy that much more.

chocolateorangeowls Sat 09-Dec-17 19:15:50

"Get one of those toys that pop balls in the air, baby will enjoy that much more."

🤣 mine wouldn't

anothernetter Sat 09-Dec-17 19:18:23

Everything in moderation. I'm sure a couple of minutes isn't going to do any lasting harm. My baby goes bananas when I put her in her jumperoo she loves it

redcaryellowcar Sat 09-Dec-17 19:25:40

The answer to your question is most likely nothing that artificially supports them in a position that they are not developmentally ready for? Mine used to have a largish washable playmat/ picnic rug would do (joules do nice ones, which later just become useful for picnics/ beach trips etc) and things that are interesting to look at/ wriggle and crawl towards. As mine got to point of pulling up, they used a sofa and we were advised to encourage ds1 (who walked a bit late) to play with toys that were on the sofa seats whilst he stood next to it, to strengthen his muscles. He could sit or cruse at leisure. I think a. Ice present for a child aged 6-12m, although will likely last longer, is a treasure basket. You can put these together with ‘Home items’ and they are lovely open ended play. (Not sure this really answers your question?)

thehairyhog Sat 09-Dec-17 20:13:30

'The answer to your question is most likely nothing that artificially supports them in a position that they are not developmentally ready for'

This. Really not necessary, or positive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: