Talk

Advanced search

Lego age ranges

(7 Posts)
peachy94 Sat 30-Sep-17 10:22:44

DS is 4.5 and obsessed with Lego he got some last Christmas and for his birthday. All he wants for this Christmas is Lego but I'm undecided on what sets to get. He loves ninjago, nexo knights and superheroes but most of those sets are for 7/8/9+and I don't know if they would be lots more difficult to build verses the 5/6+ things I don't want to get him something he would be too fustrated with x

Ricekrispie22 Sat 30-Sep-17 16:39:57

Have you tried Lego Juniors? www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-juniors/lego-juniors-ninjago-lost-temple-10725/p/149057

ijustwannadance Sat 30-Sep-17 16:50:31

Completely depends on your child. At same age my DD could follow instuction books and build the Friends sets meant for 6/7+ and found juniors quite babyish.

You could help him if he got stuck.

BelafonteRavenclaw Sat 30-Sep-17 17:10:56

My DS started with the junior stuff when he was about 3. He is 5 now and is obsessed with Ninjago and Nexo knights and has been for a couple of years. The ‘older’ sets often need an adult to help with the more complex parts. But, he has always loved just building his own creations with the mini figures. We don’t look at the age rating any more.

BellaGoth Sat 30-Sep-17 17:13:56

The instructions are very clear even on sets aimed at older children. My 4 year old has all sorts, we don't worry a out the suggested age range at all.

safariboot Tue 03-Oct-17 01:24:21

If he's making light work of sets rated 6+ I wouldn't worry too much about something say 8 or 9+. As mentioned, Lego instructions nowadays are very step-by-step, though higher-rated sets can have tricky bits. Size of the set and your DS's attention span is a factor too.

There are the "Juniors" sets but the range seems a bit limited. I'm not sure if they're really much simpler than the 'regular' sets either, they use some large pieces to make the core of a model but seem to have just as many little detail bits as any Lego set nowadays.

Erica891 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:24:14

I was looking for a gift for my nephew as he's also obsessed with it and saw lego board games. There are a variety to choose from and I think ebay or amazon offer an array you can choose from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now