Talk

Advanced search

Scooter for 4 year old

(9 Posts)
blamethecat Mon 22-May-17 17:40:00

Ds is 4 soon and we are thinking of getting a scooter, probably a micro scooter. But not sure which version to go for. He has a basic 3 wheeler now but it's too small so gets little use. The maxi seems expensive for what I think will be a short period of use but not sure the standard 2 wheeler is suitable either.

blamethecat Wed 24-May-17 13:36:10

Anyone ?

thethoughtfox Wed 24-May-17 14:44:15

Most of them have adjustable bars so they can grow with them. We have a micro scooter. I see loads of school children scooting to school may P1-4 age and they all still use the three wheel ones.

Notso Wed 24-May-17 14:59:38

Why do you think it will only be used for a short time?
DS2 has been using his maxi for two years now, it's one of his most played its toys, his old mini micro is now DS3's who is 5 but small so it still fits him.

blamethecat Wed 24-May-17 16:32:40

Just not sure if he will want to move to the 2 wheeled version after a year or so ? I think he is too long legged for the micro, but the maxi is quite pricey.

Notso Wed 24-May-17 16:58:13

DS2 is year one, the school has just had a big push on 'moving to school' so scooters and bikes are all over the playground.
Very few scooters in the infant yard I've seen are two wheeled, a couple of the year two ones. Where as all the scooters I saw in the junior yard are two wheelers.
The maxi has a pretty good resale value, I tried to buy second hand when we were looking but most went for not much less than a discounted new one.

Ringonrighthand Wed 24-May-17 16:59:41

My 5 year old has a Globber, very similar to the Micro Scooters but slightly cheaper, she loves it.

blamethecat Thu 25-May-17 09:28:05

Hadn't heard of Globber but they look perfect, they do a Ferrari one and he loves Ferrari ! Thanks ring

MiaowTheCat Mon 05-Jun-17 11:42:12

Going to recommend the yglider ones for sheer utter indestructibility.

DDs had one that was left out in the garden between uses, then shipped off to the Reception class playground when they got new ones from grandparents... and while the average life expectancy of scooters donated to the school is about 2 weeks... this one is still in pretty much perfect nick, being left outside and absolutely hammered by 4 and 5 year olds (you know how they tend to fixate that one bike or scooter is "the fastest" and bicker constantly over getting it - it's that one) for a good 7/8 months. The mini micros other parents have donated over the months are long since falling apart, decks bouncing and snapping and the like and this thing is still going strong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now