Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toy kitchen for 14 month old

(21 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:19:42

Hi,

I have a 14 month old son and I would like to get him a play kitchen. Does anyone have any recommendations? There are loads out there!

Thanks

highinthesky Thu 30-Mar-17 11:27:46

Are these generally suitable for 1 year olds? I.e. Are they made with large pieces?

I ask because I bought DD a dolls house for her 2nd birthday, marked as aged 3+. No problem, I thought, some parts are small but she'll be supervised and she's smart for her age (typically MNr I'm afraid).

Anyway she is crazy about this toy, says "dolly house" as soon as she gets back from nursery and can't be separated from it. Yesterday I caught her trying to put a miniature wooden "cushion" in her mouth. I told her off for it and she tried it again, thinking it was a game. (I had made her jump with my initial reprimand, and then she thought it was funny, à la peek-a-boo hysteria).

If I catch her doing it again I'll confiscate it for the next 11 months. I won't be making the same mistake twice.

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:31:07

Highinthesky, I think it will be ok, he'll enjoy opening all the doors, pushing the buttons etc and playing with toy pans which will be big. The ones I've looked at seem ok. But I'll definitely check it before I give him it and remove any small bits if there are any. Thanks.

madamginger Thu 30-Mar-17 11:34:08

The IKEA toy kitchen is lovely and lots of friends have it.
We have one from m.vertbaudet.co.uk/toys/kitchen-toys.htm#intnavid=l_shopping_toys_kitchen-toys#chLMQMhqUEmZPRuD.97 and it's held up well to a battering from my 3 kids

stroan Thu 30-Mar-17 11:40:42

My 16mo DD has the Ikea kitchen and loves it. It looks like a mini-kitchen rather than a toy if that makes sense - it's mostly wood and not colourful and plastic.

It's small enough to not get in the way too much and has really encouraged her role play. If I'm cooking, she'll go to her kitchen and put some toy food in a pan and stir it round. She even pretends to wash the dishes (and that's not something she's learned from watching me!)

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:41:04

Those look lovely madamginger, really high quality and very pretty. A bit expensive for me though... ikea one looks good too and a better price for us! Thanks so much

HeadDreamer Thu 30-Mar-17 11:41:29

I've had the ikea toy kitchen since DC1 was 2. She's 6 now and it's still as good as new.

HeadDreamer Thu 30-Mar-17 11:41:55

This one

HeadDreamer Thu 30-Mar-17 11:42:01

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/toys-play/duktig-play-kitchen-art-60319972/

HeadDreamer Thu 30-Mar-17 11:44:20

The ikea one doens't have small parts if you are worried. All the bits that go in are purchased separately. I have the pots and pans, the utensils, the plates and cups and some toy food.

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:45:14

Thanks everyone. Ikea seems popular and has £10 off at the moment! It looks good. Does it come with any pans/food/utensils? Do you think it would be suitable for a 14 month old?

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:46:14

Cross post headdreamer! - you must have read my mind!

HeadDreamer Thu 30-Mar-17 11:46:33

if you go to the page I link, you can see all the related items for the kitchen. Have a look in the shop and see what you think? I don't think DC2 is that into the kitchen until about 18mo?

anonymice Thu 30-Mar-17 11:47:41

it doesn't come with stuff. Only the washing up bowl. You buy the rest. My DD has had hers since she was 16 months old and never had any accidents or problems.

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 11:52:27

I love the soft fruit and veg that you can buy! I've been looking at all the plastic ones, this looks nicer.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 30-Mar-17 13:53:48

I saw these in Asda the other day. They are nice and bright and oooked sturdy
direct.asda.com/george/kids/wooden-toys/D25M8G1C17,default,sc.html

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Thu 30-Mar-17 13:55:00

Looked

highinthesky Thu 30-Mar-17 14:15:45

The Ikea one looks good!

Nan0second Thu 30-Mar-17 14:17:44

Aldi one is wooden and gorgeous and only £30. It's only available when the do the children's / baby event but worth looking on the website. No small pieces either. Melissa and Doug do some lovely wooden food too.

Redyellowpinkblue Thu 30-Mar-17 14:18:51

We've got an Asda one and it's very very good quality, and was really good value for money. My dd is now 3 and has had it since 1.5 and still plays with it every day.
direct.asda.com/george-home-wooden-kitchen-and-laundry-set/000749291,default,pd.html

Summerdays2014 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:27:24

Wow, the Aldi one is great value! I wonder when the next baby event is as it's only available in store. Asda one looks good too. I love the wooden ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now