Talk

Advanced search

Play kitchen: Ikea or John Lewis country kitchen?

(14 Posts)
jollyroger2 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:27:07

JL used to do a lovely red one. Now they only do a white / cream country style one:

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-country-play-kitchen/p231774500

DH likes the Ikea one

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70129801/

but I think it looks a bit plain. Will probably look better, though, as will have to live in our open plan kitchen / family room.

Anyone got either and would recommend? Thanks

JeffyJeffington Sun 15-Nov-15 22:40:15

I don't know op but interested if anyone else has a view, as i too am wrestling with this important topic! (tho the mini version of each because we're a bit limited for space). Bump!

jollyroger2 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:42:41

Thanks for posting / bumping! No other replies yet, though! There have been other threads on this over the years, but that was before the JL one went white.

Which one do you think you will go for? Other half insists the JL one it too frilly....

zgaze Mon 16-Nov-15 21:56:33

Definitely the IKEA one. It lights up! If you look on Pinterest there are lots of people who have pimped them up a bit too

rudolphistheboss Tue 17-Nov-15 07:51:06

I have been looking at the Ikea one... Bumping to see if anyone who has one can give a review smile

Luciferbox Tue 17-Nov-15 07:54:21

The IKEA one is fab. We've had it for two years and it gets abused daily by DS1&2. They love it and there isn't a mark on it.

Fugghetaboutit Tue 17-Nov-15 07:54:20

Check out Costcos ones, they look nice too!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Tue 17-Nov-15 08:02:31

Definitely the IKEA one. DS has had his for almost 2 years and it gets played with most days. Very robust and comes with extenders for the legs so you can adjust the height as DC get taller. If you're artistically inclined you could paint it, add fabric etc.

Woodenheart101 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:07:39

I prefer the john lewis one but I haven't read the reviews. I know a friend found the JL dolls house a bit flimsy- so the ikea one might be more hard wearing?

JeffyJeffington Tue 17-Nov-15 12:52:19

I think i agree with your dh jolly. The plainer look of the ikea one means it's probably more flexible. I also like the way in the extra pic for the ikea one they've clearly butted it up against the 'grownup' kitchen unit and used the existing rail for hanging little pots and pans. The JL one has more of a 'back' to it that might make it less flexible.

jollyroger2 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:03:27

Thank you so much, everyone. I'm sold on the Ikea one now. It will blend in much better, and as it has to actually sit 'in' our kitchen as in the Ikea promo pic, it will be much better if it fits in with our stuff... I will get over its 'plainness' I'm sure. Thanks all (and thanks Woodenheart for thinking as I do re JL too!)

upthegardenpath Mon 30-Nov-15 12:49:19

Ikea all the way!!!!
Cheap and cheerful - also resold ours at a great price once DD had outgrown it.
It isn't that plain! Think more minimalist cool Scandi design, rather than atrociously pink plastic tat smile
You can also get it with the additional bit on top, or just the bottom part.
My DD loved the electric hob with light up rings.

Also good that the adjustable legs allow the height to be raised.

Why not get them to decorate it with lovely big wall stickers?

wonkylegs Mon 30-Nov-15 12:55:52

Ikea one and for an easy customisation try something like www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Limmaland?ref=s2-header-shopname To make it your own

darlingbudsofjuly Mon 30-Nov-15 13:02:27

Where are you? If you don't mind secondhand, then I'll sell you our (lovely, well-loved) JL one for a donation to the Refugee Council's Syrian Refugee Appeal. We're in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now