Talk

Advanced search

Lego for a 2.5 year old?

(7 Posts)
pinkster2342 Mon 24-Nov-14 17:02:52

Hi

Do you think Lego is suitable for a 2.5 year old? I want to get my friends daughter some for christmas as her brother has some & she plays with it. I'm just a bit worried about the small pieces.
What do you think?

HollyBen Mon 24-Nov-14 17:19:12

For that age you get Duplo which is essentially large lego blocks. DD is 3.5 and she still plays with hers though is getting some lego junior for christmas (recommended) for 4+

youbethemummylion Mon 24-Nov-14 17:21:27

Lego would be too small and fiddly go for Duplo or Mega Blocs

Patilla Mon 24-Nov-14 18:04:48

I think it depends on the child. The age recommendations would suggest not but DS was playing with simple Lego by that time and DD will too by then based on her current hand/eye coordination.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 24-Nov-14 18:12:50

Ask your friend. My 2.8 yr old is getting lego this Christmas as he plays well with it but I'd completely understand parents wanting to keep to duplo etc. Or perhaps your friend might just think that the 2 yr old's lego will end up being swallowed by the rest of the lego so they won't really benefit from their own present which is what I have attempted to explain to bil. A 2 year old might play well with lego but they don't have the skills to keep their model built or keep their bricks separate like an older child can. The advantage of duplo is that even a 2 year old can find the bits they want and recognise their stuff.

crazykat Mon 24-Nov-14 18:16:04

I'd say duplo or mega blocks for that age. My ds2 is just 2 and plays with ds1's Lego but I have to watch him like a hawk incase he puts it in his mouth. With duplo/mega blocks I can let him play while I'm doing other things. My eldest still happily plays with mega blocks with ds and she's 7 so it will get plenty of use.

AdorableAbbie Fri 28-Nov-14 14:20:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now