Talk

Advanced search

Taking the pedals off a normal bike to make a balance bike...?

(7 Posts)
unclefluffy Mon 15-Oct-12 16:17:03

Has anyone bought a regular bike and taken the pedals off to make it a balance bike? Does it work? 4 y.o. DD is desperate for a bike, but she's not the most coordinated of small children and I'm trying to figure out the best tactic. I don't want to just buy a balance bike because I suspect that it won't 'last' long at her age.

lorisparkle Mon 15-Oct-12 23:40:55

I have had two friends who have done this. One was for her 6 year old who had no confidence in riding a bike with stabilizers so they took off the pedals and once he had gained confidence in balancing he was off. In only a few months he is now cycling miles!

pookamoo Mon 15-Oct-12 23:42:24

Don't the pedals need to move the chain round and therefore the wheels?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 15-Oct-12 23:45:29

>Don't the pedals need to move the chain round and therefore the wheels?

no - you can push or freewheel a bike without pedalling.

5madthings Mon 15-Oct-12 23:47:20

Yes you can do this. Sometimes the crank shaft bit ie metal bit the pedals are attached to, gets in the way still. Thus can also be taken iff buy can be a bit fiddly.

5madthings Mon 15-Oct-12 23:48:43

You can also get some bikes that start as a valance bike and then you can add pedals. There was another thread on them recently and i posted a link. Cant do it right now as i am on phone.

hotflusheskeepmewarm Sun 21-Oct-12 21:51:50

Yes do it! We did it and DD (4) learnt to ride in two weeks - two weeks of using it as a balance bike she loved balancing so much we put the pedals back on and away she went. Rides really well.

Saves buying a balance bike then another bike later on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now