Talk

Advanced search

Desperate plea - South African football

(5 Posts)
DippyMummy Wed 10-Oct-12 09:27:27

This is a bit of a long shot.... Does anyone out there live, or have relatives, in South Africa, better still in Johannesburg? Even better still, someone in Jo'burg who knows about football?
A couple of years ago DP was working there and brought back a lovely football for our DS (aged 6 yrs). It's quite unusual, hand-stitched, with a striking zebra-type pattern, and DS is v proud of it. Sadly in the weekend DP thought he'd pump a bit more air into it and BANG, the thing exploded. DS is inconsolable. In fact we all are. DP is quite sure it's irreplaceable but I have promised I'll do what I can to find another.
DP says he got it in a special shop in Jo'burg which was set up for the World Cup (2010?). I don't know anything more about it or indeed whether it still exists.
The label on the ball says "Gameball - celebrating Africa's beautiful game - hand stitched without child labour" and features a kind of tan-coloured zebra/giraffe/camouflage design. I've searched the internet in vain.
If there is anyone who thinks they may be able to help, please let me know. DS is so uspet, he's having trouble getting to sleep at night, and asks me every day, "What are we going to do about my lovely football, Mummy?" (sob sob)
Thanks.

Bonnywrites Thu 11-Oct-12 01:49:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naoko Thu 11-Oct-12 02:44:56

Hi there. This is kind of a long shot, but I can't sleep so I've spent a while googling. I'm getting nowhere with world cup related search terms, although it is hard to be sure without a picture. The only thing that looks like an outside possibility is This. They call their balls 'gameballs' and do animal prints. If not, the above poster's offer of help is probably your best bet! (although Bonny you should really report and ask mn to remove your phone number, pm it to the op if you want her to have it, it would be more secure.)

geekette Thu 11-Oct-12 04:44:55

Bonnywrites, I would ask MNHQ to pull that post and pm your number to op instead.
Actually, pm could be more than sufficient...

DippyMummy Thu 11-Oct-12 08:10:12

Bonnywrites - thank you very much for your kind offer. I will send a picture of the ball, just as soon as I have worked out how to do it.

Naoko - YES!!! That's VERY NEARLY it! Wow, how did you manage to find those balls? I have been searching for days! I think that my DS's ball is definitely part of that series. None of the balls in the picture match it exactly but he may be happy with a close substitute. So that's another good lead.

Thank you so much, both! Photo to follow shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now