Talk

Advanced search

Clueless, which is better, a Wii or an X box

(7 Posts)
madhairgirl Sun 16-Oct-11 11:13:05

MIL is wanting ideas for Christmas for DD almost 7 and DS 5. She had wondered about a joint present, maybe a Wii. Good idea or not, and which is better the Wii or the X box. Really don't know, I don't really know anything about them, let alone if it is suitable so opinions welcome.

picnicbasketcase Sun 16-Oct-11 11:25:06

My DC (9 and 4) got a Wii as a joint present, sort of for them, and for the whole family too, last Christmas. We went for the Wii rather than XBox or PS3 because it seemed to have lots more child friendly games available. They have fun leaping about the place playing the sports games etc. Games that use the Mii characters have been a big hit - Wii Play, Wii Party etc. The console only comes with one remote so you would need extra ones for multiplayer games etc.

XBox may have improved their range of games since then, but when we were thinking about it, it all seemed to be fighting and car racing games. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will post soon.

madhairgirl Sun 16-Oct-11 11:28:04

Thanks, sort of what I was thinking, wasn't sure if 5yr old was a bit little for it, but I like the idea of them playing together with it.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 16-Oct-11 11:37:52

We have a Wii (9yo and 5yo) which we have had for about 2.5 years (since they were 6.5y and just 2y).

They both still really enjoy playing on it, the eldest would sometimes rather go on the pc, and has just had a DS for his birthday which he would have surgically connected to him if he could, but they often play together - particularly when they get a new game.

I have no idea about xboxes - my impression is that they are for older kids (teenagers?) and on that basis given the age of your children the Wii would be better.

fastweb Sun 16-Oct-11 11:57:04

I like our wii.

Especially the xtreme sports mats we got to go with it.

My preference is for puffed out children who are too worn out to be irritating.

So I am biased.

It you get a wii be prepared to police the wearing of the safety straps so your telly does not end up with a hole in it.

Somedays I feel if I have to yell "STRAP!!!" one more time I will take all the controllers and hide them indefinatly.

The worst is referrring the howls of outrage from DH and the triumphant crowing of DS as one of them constantly trashes the other at Mario Karts. Or cheat. Depending on whose perspective is at the higher decibel level.

Fatshionista Sun 16-Oct-11 12:05:07

I like our XBox 360 with Kinect. The DC's play with the Kinect on World Adventures or a dance game and DP and I can play our 18+ games.

I like the fact you can get a wide variety of games for the XBox but the Wii is pretty family oriented.

GhoulsGhouls Sun 16-Oct-11 12:06:28

Have no idea about Xboxes.

We have a Wii which the children LOVE - and they can play on it together, can you do this on an Xbox?

Lots of age appropriate games

DH loves it too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now