Talk

Advanced search

Mini or Maxi scooter for 5yo?

(8 Posts)
bitzermaloney Sat 25-Jun-11 23:07:42

Ds1, having previously been adamant he didn't want a scooter (very lacking in confidence physically), apparently had a go on someone else's at school and now wants one. It's his birthday soon so we're considering it.

Thing is, the mini ones are marketed age 3-5 and the maxi ones 6-12. Would a maxi scooter be too difficult for him to control? Or just too big? I don't want to buy a mini only to have to change it in a year. He's reasonably tall but quite immature in terms of coordination. I haven't really had a close look to compare them.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sat 25-Jun-11 23:11:01

Maxi-micro, definitely -- my girls both switched aged 5

bitzermaloney Sat 25-Jun-11 23:13:42

Thanks Schnitzel! Now all we need is Hercules Morse and the others to weigh in... wink

So you don't think they require more coordination to operate?

pickledsiblings Sat 25-Jun-11 23:14:08

Yes, maxi. They are not much bigger as the height of the handle is adjustable so it can be low to begin with.

pickledsiblings Sat 25-Jun-11 23:16:31

My 4 year old moves between the two with ease. Its just a bit heavier if they have to pick it up at any stage.

Sorry for non HM related name smile.

SlideAway Sat 25-Jun-11 23:16:59

My DS is 5 and he's big for his age and not the most coordinated. We got him a maxi for his birthday and he's managed fine with it. The weight limit for the mini is about 20kg so that may be a consideration as well.

bitzermaloney Sat 25-Jun-11 23:19:10

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies.

Tobermory Sun 03-Jul-11 22:37:29

I had a similar quandry when buying for my DD for her 4th birthday. She is very tall so i was worried about the longevity of the mini however not great in terms of co-orindation/balance etc.
She was given the maxi by her very generous -and childfree- uncle for her birthday and loves it. Its perfect in terms of size, not too heavy and def. the right choice for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now