Talk

Advanced search

Wheelybug - large or small?

(14 Posts)
breadandhoney Sun 19-Jun-11 21:29:32

I am going to buy a Wheelybug for my DD's first birthday in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any experience of them? Should I buy the small one (recommended for 1 - 2.5 years) or the large one (recommended for 2.5 - 5 years). I know that judging by the recommendations this should be an easy decision but have read in a couple of places that the small one is outgrown before the child is 2.

I should say I've never seen one in real life, so I can't judge the size.

Thanks for any help.

trixymalixy Sun 19-Jun-11 21:32:11

dD is nearly 2, she got the small one for xmas and it's a bit too small already.

PrinceHumperdink Sun 19-Jun-11 21:32:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PacificDogwood Sun 19-Jun-11 21:34:30

Wheelybugs are the BEST ride-on toy, ever, bar none we have 3!

IMO, buy the smaller size - your 1 year old will be able to use it much better right away; as he gets older and more competent the smaller ones seem to 'zoom' better; my older boys (now 7 and 8) still prefer the little ladybird we have to the large bee and tiger grin. Poor ladybird has a kind of dented back blush.
I cannot see how a smaller one would be outgrown by the age of 2.

Best toy ever - have I mentione that already?? Just be ready to jump out of the way: they are very very fast on hard flooring.
Enjoy!

PacificDogwood Sun 19-Jun-11 21:35:35

Oh, weird, totally different experience here <<surveys sons and no, they are not freakishly small>>

whyohwine Sun 19-Jun-11 21:37:01

DD had the small one. She is 7 and can still use it! But she stopped using it regularly when she was between 3 and 4. (she is small side of average). Don't you also need to know whether large is too big for a 1 year old, otherwise it is not much of a first birthday present and you might as well wait until next year until buying. I don't now the answer to this as we had a small one.

trixymalixy Sun 19-Jun-11 21:37:07

Pacific, I just wish I had got the larger one as DD prefers the larger one my friend's DC have.

smallpotato Sun 19-Jun-11 21:40:05

We got DD2 one for her 1st birthday yesterday! The small is perfect for her, she loves it! She is not walking yet but she has been racing around on her knees pushing it. When she sits on it her feet just touch the floor, but she can't push herself along yet. So I am happy she will get a lot of use out of it.

It is smaller than your average ride-on I would say, but I'm not too bothered about her growing out of it as DD1 already has a trike she will grow into in a couple of years. DD1 is 3 and she sat on the wheelybug and declared it was too small for her!

I got it on ebay for £20. They have a really good resale value so I would suggest if you want something she can use straight away get the small then in a year or 2 sell it and buy a large one 2nd hand.

smallpotato Sun 19-Jun-11 21:40:05

We got DD2 one for her 1st birthday yesterday! The small is perfect for her, she loves it! She is not walking yet but she has been racing around on her knees pushing it. When she sits on it her feet just touch the floor, but she can't push herself along yet. So I am happy she will get a lot of use out of it.

It is smaller than your average ride-on I would say, but I'm not too bothered about her growing out of it as DD1 already has a trike she will grow into in a couple of years. DD1 is 3 and she sat on the wheelybug and declared it was too small for her!

I got it on ebay for £20. They have a really good resale value so I would suggest if you want something she can use straight away get the small then in a year or 2 sell it and buy a large one 2nd hand.

whyohwine Sun 19-Jun-11 21:40:23

Ps she stopped using it regularly when she did not so much because of outgrowing it but because she grew to prefer her micro scooter. You might find that if you get a bigger one to last longer they lose interest anyway because of bikes and scooters etc

breadandhoney Sun 19-Jun-11 21:40:40

DD is not crawling yet, let alone walking, but I'm hoping she will be soon!! So she won't be able to use it right away but I would hope she will before Christmas - the next occasion for buying presents.

seasickgal Sun 19-Jun-11 21:42:38

We have a small one, they are still using it age8,5 and 3.We have it it so long there was only one size available when we bought it.They are great fun.I would quite like one big enough for me!

breadandhoney Sun 19-Jun-11 21:43:19

Thanks for all the advice - it seems I've chosen a good toy to buy. I think that's a good point whyohwine. She will probably move on to a trike when she gets to the point of outgrowing the wheelybug. I'll probably opt for the small one so she can use it sooner - maybe it'll help her get started crawling/walking!

Northernlurker Sun 19-Jun-11 21:44:08

I bought dd3 the large one and she is still getting a lot of use from it at 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now