Talk

Advanced search

Balance bike or ordinary bike with stabilisers?

(6 Posts)
wondersparkler Sun 07-Nov-10 21:04:55

I'm planning to get DS (2.5) a bike for Christmas but no idea what sort I should go for.
Balance bikes seem to be the in thing at the moment but I'm thinking if I go for one of those I'm still going to have to buy a proper bike as soon as DS wants to pedal. I'm thinking that stabilisers can come off and the bike will last a bit longer if it's just an ordinary bike, but is there something about balance bikes which makes them better for learning on?

paddingtonbear1 Sun 07-Nov-10 21:10:23

Going from our experience, I'd go for a balance bike - or just get an ordinary bike and take the pedals off. Stabilisers were useless for dd - they ended up destabilising her! In the end we used an old balance bike my dad rescued from the tip. Within a month, dd could ride her proper bike.

muddleduck Sun 07-Nov-10 22:39:30

Balance bike. Definitely.
Then proper bike at about age 4.

wondersparkler Mon 08-Nov-10 13:34:56

paddingtonbear can I ask how old your DD was? Getting a balance bike and then needing a proper bike a month later is pretty much exactly what I want to avoid!
If the balance bike is likely to last til 4 I'd be a bit more inclined towards it...

paddingtonbear1 Mon 08-Nov-10 14:10:38

hi, sorry yes my dd had already been riding a normal bike with stabilisers for ages. She's 7 and has only started riding without in the last few months, so her age probably comes into it! Since your ds is much younger, a balance bike should last much longer.

iwantavuvezela Mon 08-Nov-10 14:12:01

i bought my daughter the PUKY balance bike which she loves...... She can go pretty fast on it as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now