Talk

Advanced search

Smallest balance bike please?

(13 Posts)
gd1976 Thu 09-Sep-10 20:54:57

I've spent a long time trawling online, and thought it might be easier and quicker to post on here to get your advice.

I'm looking for a balance bike for my 2 year old, but he is very short. (9th centile for height). The smallest one I seem to have found is "strider" at 27cms.

I see the balance bike website are pushing for Puky but they are 29cms, and i've seen a lot of people go for the isla bikes and smallest there is 28cms.

Does anyone know which is actually the smallest one which is worth buying and that isn't silly money like the "likeabike" at £170!!

i'd be really grateful for any advice you have.

ninja Fri 10-Sep-10 10:46:39

I'd be interested to see what people say as I'm looking for one for my 2 year old too.

It looks like your research is good though ....

smokiejo Fri 10-Sep-10 14:24:51

Hi

You could try the Micro G-Bike. Basically it's by the same company as the very popular Micro Scooters. The great thing with it is the bike only has scooter sized wheels - so the frame is already really low to the ground (due to the tiny wheels). The other great thing with the G-Bike (I own www.littlenuttreetoys.co.uk and sell a lot of balance bikes both online and in our shop in Wilmslow) is that due to the small wheels they can't go very fast, meaning mum or dad have the ability to keep up. I had the G-Bike for my son but since then they have introduced it with a brake which I would always recommend. Also, bear in mind that at 2 years they will have lots of stamina (short bursts of energy) but not much in maintaining exercise - so, the G-Bike is also fantastic because it is light-weight. Definitely a consideration as you will probably end up carrying both your toddler and the bike!

Hope that helps.

ninja Fri 10-Sep-10 22:07:50

smokie what do you think of the Puky? (I see you sell them)

ninja Fri 10-Sep-10 22:14:59

wow - that G-bike's light. See you're just confusing me now (not that that's hard).

Would that be better than an Isla?

plonker Fri 10-Sep-10 22:18:41

We bought dd an islabike rothan when she was 2yrs 6months and she fit on it perfectly.

I don't know how tall she was but she's only little and was on the 2nd centile at the time.

hth

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-Sep-10 22:21:59

I'm not sure of the dimensions of this one , but the reviews sound promising for 2 year olds.

We've bought from this site before and they are very reliable.

thisisyesterday Fri 10-Sep-10 22:22:58

we got the puky which was one of the smallest we could find.
got it dor ds2's second birthday, he also is a bit short with particularly short legs!

it's been fantastic

gd1976 Sun 12-Sep-10 20:14:27

Thank you all for your input, lots to think about. i think i need to go and actually try my ds on one just to make sure the height is right. Smokiejo- i live in Tarporley so i may well well pop into your shop and try some. Thank you all

FanjolinaJolie Thu 30-Sep-10 16:00:43

Puky bikes are brilliant!!

There is a small one which would be suitable for a small two year old, but it has hard foam tyres as opposed to the next size up with has the air tryes.

I bought from Jacksons Leisure (online) with very good service.

chesky Thu 11-Aug-11 16:41:34

I bought my son a strider bike from this site www.strider-rider.co.uk/ they have a Fb page also.
My son loves is bike and he has not had it very long and already he is starting to balance. He is a very petite 2 year old and this bike doesnt need to be on the lowest setting for him. It is also really easy to adjust the seat height and the bikes are really light.

meala Thu 11-Aug-11 16:43:39

We bought my DS an islabike rothan just before his second birthday and, with the saddle adjusted down to the lowest height, he was riding easily within a week. He still loves it at almost 4. Fantastic bike and the resale price is really good too.

MadderHat Thu 11-Aug-11 22:31:29

We got a Strider for my 2nd centile 2.5 year old DS and the seat wasn't on its lowest setting at that point. (Okay, so he's not actually using it properly yet, now 2y9m, but that's partly as he's not very confident physically in general.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now