Regency style wedding

(54 Posts)
Avebury Tue 04-May-21 19:30:02

Have been invited to a summer wedding with a Jane Austen theme. I have literally no idea where to start as a curvy (on the tummy) size 14 and my normal go to wedding guest outfit shops are no good.
Can anyone find me a tasteful empire line dress that doesn't cost the Earth but also doesn't look like a school play costume?

OP’s posts: |
Iamthewombat Tue 04-May-21 19:42:31

Who does that to their friends?

Do the men have to wear top hats? Christ!

No dress suggestions, I’m afraid, but wanted to offer sympathy.

SummaLuvin Tue 04-May-21 19:52:21

Don’t forget the bonnet 😂

Palavah Tue 04-May-21 19:52:21

Just because the wedding is themed doesn't necessarily mean you have to go in costume, does it?

You could rent something, or get a maxi?

TheCraicDealer Tue 04-May-21 20:32:37

Who's the bride? Me, aged 14?

Honestly OP, you have my sympathy, but you might be lucky enough to see more regency style stuff in the shops what with the popularity of Bridgerton. Otherwise get a maxi dress, wear your hair up and bring a fan and call it a day.

LunaNorth Tue 04-May-21 20:34:54

I wore a regency style wedding dress for my first wedding.

It was beautiful, but I did look pregnant on a couple of photos.

LunaNorth Tue 04-May-21 20:38:51

This? You could shorten the sleeves.

PCEAIIH Women's Casual Sleeveless/Long Sleeve Maxi Dress Loose Long Dresses with Pockets www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TTLJ6YH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GJAGGB0VGMJK91FM3WMY?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Cheesypea Tue 04-May-21 20:39:22

Oh god you poor thing. Do you have long hair? Then you could nod to the hair and make up.

AliasGrape Tue 04-May-21 20:42:12

Are they definitely wanting guests to keep to the theme (urgh what a thing to do to your guests!) or is it just how they’re planning on ‘styling’ the day as it were?
If they want the guests to join in are they wanting full costume drama type attire or will a nod to the theme do?

Some ideas here based on Bridgerton which isn’t exactly Jane Austen but the popularity at the moment means you get articles like this which might help - www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.marieclaire.co.uk/fashion/shopping/bridgerton-dresses-724511/amp

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/bridgerton-dresses-regency-empire_l_5ff664a2c5b6ea7351c7f7d5/amp

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 20:47:23

So pleased to see these responses because when I opened the invitation I definitely eye rolled and muttered 'ffs'
I do know the bride binge watched Bridgerton over lockdown so maybe that's it

Miseryisabutterfly Tue 04-May-21 20:52:49

Oh my god. Who would do this? Poor you op 😩

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 20:58:49

It's actually a relative of DH so maybe I'll make him go by himself. It's also at the other end of the country in a half ruined castle in the middle of nowhere. I am too old for all this

musicalmoney Tue 04-May-21 20:58:58

Never has the MN advice of "its an invitation, not a summons" been more apt.

Herja Tue 04-May-21 21:01:01

How tall are you? Could this work? It's a bit pale (though not white), but that's a bugger of an outfit demand...
Here

Herja Tue 04-May-21 21:07:04

Here (not a tall one this time).

Sickoffamilydrama Tue 04-May-21 21:08:33

Not helpful in I don't have any outfits to post!

I mean I like the opportunity to dress up but in a nice modern outfit.

This would seriously annoy me as well because you have to buy a new outfit that will be expensive & you won't get an opportunity to wear it again....unless you have a regency themed garden party every year!

I know people do get excited when they get married but seriously it's like bloody book week or other fucking costume themed weeks that are made to torture parents shudder

Herja Tue 04-May-21 21:09:09

Would need careful styling, but it could be made to work.

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 21:10:38

That dress could definitely work if I wasn't just a smidge over 5 foot. The universe is definitely telling me this wedding isn't for me. Might make 'invitation not a summons' my mantra while my in laws moan about me behind my back when I announce I am not going.
I refuse to believe I am the only one not impressed by the dress code and the remote venue with minimal local accommodation options.
Life's too short

LunaNorth Tue 04-May-21 21:11:16

What’s your DH wearing?

You could get him a baggy white shirt and keep chucking buckets of water over him throughout the day?

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 21:12:16

@Herja Thank you so much for looking for me. Will be hunting you out to be my personal stylist when I next get an invitation for something I do want to attend

SarahBellam Tue 04-May-21 21:12:31

Who does that to their friends? Put on a false beard and a top hat and go as Mr Bennett.

Iamthewombat Tue 04-May-21 21:12:52

It might be a regency themed bar (drinks one farthing each).

You could go for ostrich feathers in your hair. On theme, plus you’d upstage the bride.

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 21:13:18

@LunaNorth Genius idea. I bet it hasn't even occurred to him that his usual wedding suit won't be appropriate.

Blueuggboots Tue 04-May-21 21:14:18

I'd be asking more questions unless the invitation makes it very clear that you have to dress up in costume?!

Avebury Tue 04-May-21 21:15:02

Very very clear unfortunately

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in