Talk

Advanced search

Fixed term contract

(3 Posts)
savvylife Tue 07-Jan-20 17:55:17

I have been offered a fixed term contract with a view that it can be extended/converted to permanent. I had been considering full time permanent jobs as well as contracting but not FTCs. I am not sure what to think. Its been offered for 6 months whereas i was expecting one for 12 months. Can somebody tell me about how I should approach it? What are the pros and cons? The salary is good but not so good if I am then unemployed for the 6 months after so financial planning would be difficult.

I don't like the lack of job security knowing that i may not know about contract being extended or not till the last minute. Has this worked positively for anybody and what are all the things I need to consider?

FanSpamTastic Tue 07-Jan-20 18:09:34

If they may need someone permanent then they should just hire a permanent role. Lots of companies do this - like try before you buy. But with probationary periods they can still get rid of you even if not fixed term. So I don't understand why they do this. I totally get FTC if there is a particular project or to cover maternity leave etc. Sometimes it can be because of funding - eg charity only has a fixed amount of funding for a set period.

You could try saying that you don't want the role as really you are looking for a permanent role. If they like you then they may make it permanent now.

savvylife Tue 07-Jan-20 18:17:07

It is a new permanent role. They like me for the role but said that there is one area that they are not sure that I have experience in as much and hence the FTC. But it is also quite short. I would have thought 12 months. Part of me thinks that there are some other organisational plans afoot that may not get nailed down for a few months and that may be one reason. I also think a big portion of the transformational work is taking place over the next few months and am I being used for that?

At the moment only negative reasons are coming to mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »