Talk

Advanced search

Our card has been cloned :(

(53 Posts)
winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:53:39

Has anyone ever been through having their card cloned before ?
Dh received a text this morning by our bank asking us to pay in £400 to cover all outgoing bills. Strange we've both just been paid, there should be over £3,000 in there shock
Our online banking has been blocked to when we tried to check .

So he went to the cash machine on the school run .....
every single penny gone. And £500 overdrawn.
He's went straight to our local branch on opening .
There's been £1,750 made in online purchases in HOLLAND!!! (We are in uk)
Then they have withdrew bit by bit the rest of the money over the last couple of days . Admittedly we don't check our online banking every day sad

The woman in the bank explained what will happen & he signed a form declaring this wasn't us doing the spending!
we will get the online purchases refunded within 24 hours . Brilliant ! However the cash withdrawals we may not get back. As it's harder to prove it wasn't us ?!

I've sat and cried I am so worried now . Also to add I've been up all Night with a teething 1 year old so I am feeling a lot more touchy then usual.
That money was to last us to cover bills, food the last of the presents until January . We do have amazing in laws we could borrow from but that money still needs to be paid back so we would still be left short after Christmas.

We haven't used our card anywhere unusual or unusual online I'm baffled as to how they have getting a hold of our details ? And to be honest quite scared and how easy they have taken that amount of money !
Has anyone else experienced this ? And did you get the cash withdrawals back?

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 09:58:43

I've had mine cloned x3 now, it was a PITA waiting for new cards but apart from that it was no big deal. Had to sign some forms to say we'd happily help the police in the investigation etc. All money refunded ,last one was for £7k.

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:01:38

@MrsPelligrinoPetrichor oh lord 3 times ! I can't imagine how stressful that was ! We're any of those transactions cash withdrawals ? If I'm honest it's those I'm worried about the most

doritosdip Tue 03-Dec-19 10:02:00

I had mine cloned too. I thought UK cash machines had cameras or is that a myth?

The person who cloned mine tried to buy loads of electronics in a shop in Poland but the bank computers knew something was wrong when I used my card at my local ALDI in the UK minutes later.

I got all the money back and had to sign something to say I hadn't gone to Poland recently.

MayFayner Tue 03-Dec-19 10:02:24

I’ve had mine cloned, the bank actually contacted me before I realised.

I got all the money refunded. When it happened I mentioned it lots of people and nearly everyone had had some experience of their or a family member’s card being cloned. No one said they didn’t get all their money back though.

slalomsuki Tue 03-Dec-19 10:02:50

Had mine cloned at a Petrol station where eventually it was discovered that there was a camera in the ceiling recording PIN numbers and a fake card machine which took the info off the strip on the card.

Signed some forms with the bank and got the money back. Mine was Bulgaria and £1600 plus other small amounts. Now the card company send a text for an purchases that are over £250 for me to authorise payment.

coconuttelegraph Tue 03-Dec-19 10:04:05

It was a while ago but I got the money back no problem.

How did they make cash withdrawals, somehow they got your PIN? I can see why the bank would say that's a bit different. Were the cash withdrawals local to you?

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:05:19

@doritosdip all the cash withdrawals we're made in Holland aswell as the online purchases sorry forgot to add that

MayFayner Tue 03-Dec-19 10:06:52

I’m sure you’ll get it all back OP.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 10:07:15

Were they cash withdrawals using a credit card and not a debut card ?

Tbh it wasn't stressy, the bank alerted us on each occasion and just cancelled our cards and then ordered us new ones.

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:08:45

Wow I didn't realize how much this happened to people sad I thought it was just rare !
Yes they must have got our pin somehow . Dh says the woman in the bank has said it 100% looks like cloning as they have made cash withdrawals At a ATM in Holland

Why haven't the bank alerted us to unusual withdrawals and purchases made ? That's what I'm thinking now reading all your replies

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 10:08:48

Try not to stress,you can prove you were in the UK when cash purchases were made. This is really common,I don't know anyone this hasn't happened to at some point over the years.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 03-Dec-19 10:09:20

Were the withdrawals in Holland too?

Withdrawals tend to be complicated because your PIN is required, so there may be an investigation into how your card was cloned and your PIN obtained. Most cash machines have cameras, though, and if you and your husband have been in the UK while this was happening, that'll help. The withdrawals will get a more stringent investigation, as there's nowhere that the bank can recall that money from.

Have you ever shared your PIN?

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:15:22

@AnchorDownDeepBreath yes the cash withdrawals were made at a ATM in Holland .
I've asked him and said is there anyway you have given the pin to anyone by accident and he's positive he hasn't .
We never changed the PIN number that was originally issued with the card.
I hope when they investigate we are told what they have found as I want to know how this has happened .
Dh was in Belgium 3 months ago but says he didn't use his card while there just euros . That's the only unusual I can think of .

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 03-Dec-19 10:18:47

I wouldn't panic then - I used to work with the people who investigate this type of fraud at one of the biggest banks and they've seen this a lot! It's more sophisticated, but it's not unusual, for card cloning devices to also record the PIN.

The investigation will take a while longer for those payments but there's no reason at all to think that you won't get them back. Once it's all resolved; you might want to query why international transactions weren't flagged to you if they are unusual; although if DH travels a lot it may be that they didn't count as unusual activity.

I hope it's sorted for you quickly thanks

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:25:51

@AnchorDownDeepBreath thanks for your replies. They are really helpful.
Do you have any idea how they getting a hold of our PIN number ?
The lady in the back didn't give him a time frame on getting the cash withdraws back to us either.

MeTheCoolOne Tue 03-Dec-19 10:26:02

We check our online banking every single day. It’s boring but I think it’s a good idea.

In some countries you get a text message every time your card is used. I wish they had that as an option in the UK. This is Standard Bank in South Africa. If they can do it there why can’t we do it in the UK??

winterwalks89 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:31:47

@MeTheCoolOne I totally agree with you that would be a good idea about the texts

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 10:34:46

Last time mine was cloned it was for Sky Betting and for a really small amount,the back said they often try doing that first to see if it'll go through and the number works then go on and use it for a larger amount.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 10:38:41

**bank

Elzbells Tue 03-Dec-19 10:45:54

We were cloned and someone in Mexico took £2k. We got all the money back but it was about 10 days later if I remember correctly.

I never ever leave cash in my current account now - I have set up a savings account in my online banking that doesn't have a card and use that to hold the cash, transferring it in and out of the debit account as needed.

It is a pain in the arse but worth it to know it won't happen again. I check my online banking every morning and transfer in to cover direct debits/transfer out money coming in and just keep an eye on things.

Hope you get it all back ASAP.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Tue 03-Dec-19 10:51:23

There's a limit on withdrawing mo way from an ATM isn't there? I can only withdraw £250 per day. We have all our money in one account, I'm not overly fussed, as I said the bank were very shruggy about it and said there was nothing we could do to stop it happening.

Someonesayroadtrip Tue 03-Dec-19 10:56:51

I have had this twice, Bank contacted me and froze card both times. They refunded within 24 hours I think and I had to wait a week for a few card.

Bowerbird5 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:02:40

So sorry this has happened especially this time of year. It is always a worry to me. I too have different accounts and hope they can't get into that one. I now transfer £500 a month into my savings so there is never much in the current account.
The only way that I can think of is if there has been a transaction in the UK and the information passed to someone in Holland. I always shield my hand when taking cash out, do you?

LIZS Tue 03-Dec-19 11:08:46

If you can demonstrate you are and were both in uk at the time you should get it back. Not a nice feeling though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »