Talk

Advanced search

Working Christmas with children

(189 Posts)
acatcalledron Wed 09-Oct-19 22:34:34

If you have children and work a rotating shift pattern would you expect to have Christmas off each year?

SerenavanderWoodson Wed 09-Oct-19 22:36:21

No - why would you have more reason to have Christmas off than someone without children?

katmarie Wed 09-Oct-19 22:36:21

No, I would expect the shifts to be managed fairly among all staff. People without kids deserve time off at Christmas just as much as those with kids.

Todaythiscouldbe Wed 09-Oct-19 22:39:49

No way. If you work rotating shifts you have no more rights to Christmas off than anybody else

snapple21 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:41:28

No.

MamaGee09 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:41:34

I would expect there to be a system whereby you work Christmas on a rotation eg every second year .or every third year, I wouldn’t expect anyone to have to work every Christmas.

I work in hospitality and you used to either work Christmas or new year but we are so short staffed we all look like We’ll need to work both which isn’t fair. Last year I was on Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Boxing Day and also Hogmanay! It’s crap but it’s part and parcel of hospitality . Hopefully this is my last year of working in this industry as I finish college in June and hopefully qualify for another job in a different field.

EL8888 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:43:25

No. Everyone needs to have a fair go on Christmas and bank holidays. Taking the rough with the smooth

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 09-Oct-19 22:46:18

I think parents of under high school age dc should be prioritised, not for their sake but for their dc.
Children are more important than visiting relatives etc

ClientListQueen Wed 09-Oct-19 22:47:26

I worked Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, NYE and NYD. For 7 years in a row. On year 8, someone had the audacity to complain they had to work Christmas Day and NYE and ask why I wasn't working either of them
My managers face was an absolute picture as she pointed out what I had previously worked and told colleague they could STFU and I was well entitled to a year off
Then colleague asked me to work Christmas Day as I didn't have children grin ha no chance sunshine

MaryBerriesNiece Wed 09-Oct-19 22:48:49

I think parents of under high school age dc should be prioritised, not for their sake but for their dc.
Children are more important than visiting relatives etc

Some people can’t have children/don’t want children. Are you seriously trying to say that anyone without children should take less priority than someone who chose to reproduce?

ClientListQueen Wed 09-Oct-19 22:48:54

@MyDcAreMarvel that means that they could do 11 years then without working Christmas Day. You know the shifts when you take the job, and it's not fair on colleagues without children to work 11 years in a row because X/Y/Z has children

katseyes7 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:49:26

l used to work for the police. We had a three shift system in our office. Some people on some shifts had children. Most were ok but you had the odd one who was 'entitled to (every) Christmas off as they had children'.
They were happy enough to take the shift allowance the rest of the year, and it caused a lot of bad feeling across the shifts. lf you work shifts, and your shift falls on Christmas Day (or Boxing Day, or New Year, or your child's birthday), you work it.
Some of us couldn't have children. Some of us had elderly parents. We didn't say "well l need this Christmas off in case it's my mums/dads last one".
lt's cheeky and presumptuous. Either get someone who wants to work to cover your shift, or suck it up and work, like the rest of us have to.

Ginger1982 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:50:04

@MyDcAreMarvel 🙄

EL8888 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:55:22

Hmm interesting logic about parents of school age children. Where does that leave people who have elderly parents, want to travel at Christmas, are religious etc? My partner and l both have parents who worked shifts and we somehow survived with parents working Christmas day etc

MonstranceClock Wed 09-Oct-19 22:57:15

We organise it so that some of us work Xmas day and some of us work new year. Those of us without kids usually work Christmas as they want to go out new year, and those of us with kids work new year as we don’t usually go out.

duebaby2 Wed 09-Oct-19 22:58:06

Our agreement is we have our children's first ever Christmas Day off (we have a 3yr old and a baby due early dec) but then have said we'd be more than happy to work part of Christmas Day if need be in the following years. New year we'd always work no matter what and every day in between. Christmas Eve we've also always worked.

If your a single parent then it's totally different I think especially with primary school age children or younger

Elieza Wed 09-Oct-19 22:58:09

My friend works as a nurse. They did split shifts on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, new year etc so everyone got at least a half day with their friends or family to open presents etc. And nobody worked both C and NY.
Until a new manager came along and expected the childless to cover the Christmas shifts automatically. She got short shrift. Some childless people have parents to care for etc so it’s unfair to expect them to cover for the people with children.

Redglitter Wed 09-Oct-19 23:01:05

I think parents of under high school age dc should be prioritised

Good luck.suggesting that at my work.

AlexaAmbidextra Wed 09-Oct-19 23:06:32

I think parents of under high school age dc should be prioritised, not for their sake but for their dc. Children are more important than visiting relatives etc

I’d have told you to fuck off if you’d suggested that to me when I was putting together the Christmas rota.

Cloudyyy Wed 09-Oct-19 23:07:18

I do agree that parents of young children should take priority for Christmas Day itself,, just because of the children really.

Fournearlyfive Wed 09-Oct-19 23:08:05

In an ideal world, yes.

But in the real world things some things don't just stop because of Christmas (indeed some things are needed more; as pp mentioned hospitality, emergency services get very busy).

I do realise it's hard for young children to understand but they do have 2 weeks (average) off school when parents who aren't around on xmas day can still make things special for the kids. Personally as a child I always found the lead up and the anticipation just as exciting as the day itself (if not more). Especially when we went to christmas fairs or the panto etc smile

EL8888 Wed 09-Oct-19 23:10:09

@ AlexaAmbidextra totally! If when l put together Christmas rotas l had done that, l probably would have got a grievance lodged against me

DonnatellaLyman Wed 09-Oct-19 23:11:49

For me the important thing is not working the same shifts as DH. I get that for single parents childcare must be really hard over the bank holidays so they should be prioritised.

I expect to work some xmas days etc as my children grow up (for now I’ve been lucky as worked many before I had DC). For us it is important our children grow up remembering how lucky they are to be surrounded by family who love them. My DD knows that sometimes mummy and daddy have to look after poorly people so aren’t at home, and as she grows up will come to understand that may mean at xmas. I hope this is a positive example to set.

verytiredandstressed Wed 09-Oct-19 23:12:09

No as a parent of children my youngest is teens now , I have worked in a job where I have had to work . I've always took my turn ie work one year off the next when mine were quite young even if I work with people that don't have children.
I've had 2 others jobs that I was fortunate to have Christmas off as we close down . I now work where it's only shut bank holidays so I'm working it's only fair to take a turn . I have a manager who said will only agree time off at Christmas until the whole team sent their request which is fair .

Cloudyyy Wed 09-Oct-19 23:15:06

Hmm well everyone deserves their holidays of course, but surely grown adults aren’t that bothered whether it’s one day or another that they take off to spend with “visiting relatives”. Surely the only people bothered about whether they’re celebrating together on that exact day are young children who are excited for
Santa’s arrival?? Otherwise, does it really matter which day as long as it’s fairly split and everyone gets time off? NYE I can see would be different as likely there will be big group celebrations on that specific night so I can see why adults would want to allocate those nights to different colleagues each year in order to make it more fair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »