Talk

Advanced search

Summer money for 7yo niece and her mum?

(8 Posts)
sjm4g15 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:29:27

My ExSIL does the majority of childcare during summer as she is a teacher and brother works regular 9-5 hours (has DN 50-50 majority of the year), DN is 2.6, I have just got my bonus from work and have some spare to spend on my niece - I was thinking about getting a restaurant or cinema voucher for enough that they could go out a few times over the summer. Or maybe spend on a specific garden toy? If you were in that position and a relative had £60 to £100 towards summer activities to give you, what would be the most useful/least patronising way?! Or should I just give cash to her or to my bro?! Thanks

sjm4g15 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:31:23

Sorry should say 6 not 2.6 - @MNHQ could you edit please?!

SmartPlay Fri 19-Jul-19 18:33:04

This is a lovely thing to do? Are you in contact with the mother? If yes, can't you just tell her that you got a bonus and want to treat your niece to something nice and ask her for suggestions?

CrackOn Fri 19-Jul-19 18:34:16

Offer to take your neice out for the day and spend it then. Makes a lovely memory- my aunt did this with me a few times growing up.

Bookworm4 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:37:47

Something fun for garden, will be used plenty

sjm4g15 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:39:23

Not really in contact with SIL unfortunately as I normally see DN through my DB! I do talk to her very occasionally but she is quite reserved and in a NMW job and I would really worry that she would be much more receptive to a voucher or gift than me just saying "oh I have £100 to spend on the kids" IYKWIM? So would prefer to just give a gift than saying I have X amount.

Also sorry for age confusion - my DS is 2.6 so it corrected as I talk about him in messages so much! DN is 6 to turn 7 at end of July

sjm4g15 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:46:51

I could maybe offer to take her out for a few hours, that's a good suggestion, thanks! I live a few hours away but could manage that a couple of times over the holidays

Mothership4two Fri 19-Jul-19 18:49:13

Agree with @CrackOn, taking her out somewhere special together would be a lovely idea and would give your SIL a break. If you do get garden toy, I would check with SIL that she's happy first - our ds's have been given outdoor stuff over the years that can just sit, cluttering up the garden and then be given away or taken to dump!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »