Talk

Advanced search

I'm exhausted and done

(32 Posts)
BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Thu 18-Jul-19 08:14:31

I'm a 3rd year student nurse and I have 5 shifts left to do but I just feel so done. I'm exhausted, emotional and drained. I have no idea how to keep going.

Im finding it difficult to fit in, keep being reminded of my lack of knowledge, how slow I am etc. I'm constantly trying to improve but others tell me I'm doing well and to ignore.

I just want to hide in a corner. I'm due in at 9 and trying hard to get ready.

Please don't slate me. I knew it would be hard.

SarahSinclair Thu 18-Jul-19 10:24:16

You are doing well to be a 3rd year SN! Be proud of that! 5 shifts left - focus on the end result. What do you have planned?

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Thu 18-Jul-19 12:48:31

An essay rewrite. I failed my last one so won't graduate with my cohort. It's not the end of the world I know but it's frustrating.

I have some interviews and have a job on bank in the mean time as a health care assistant.

I just thought I'd feel better but feel so low.

llfamily Thu 18-Jul-19 12:50:24

You won't always feel this rubbish. Can you spend the summer consolidating your knowledge? Have you got a mentor you could chat to??

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 18-Jul-19 21:50:33

That sounds very tough. Hopefully you now only have 4 left. Can you do something small to treat yourself after each one?

llfamily Thu 18-Jul-19 22:04:21

How are you doing OP?

LittleLongDog Thu 18-Jul-19 22:07:00

How did your shift go OP? I bet you’re knackered but only four to go now!

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Fri 19-Jul-19 02:36:26

It went OK, I'm just so tired. I have this weekend off thankfully. I have had some great placements but this one is just a struggle for some reason. I found acute very exciting and worked hard with no issues.

I'm on community for management and I'm struggling. I don't actually think it's my skills, more personality clash. I'm doing everything, have demonstrated rational etc. Can deal with complex wounds and change treatment as patients progress. But it seems like it's not enough.

I'm just really deflated. I haven't applied for many jobs because I'm not sure I still want to do this.

Smotheroffive Fri 19-Jul-19 02:44:53

So you've had some great placements?!

You found acute suited you well and you didn't experience any problems.

Perhaps dwell a while on those good experiences and realise your abilities! This does just sound like a bum placement for you. Maybe personalities, or the style is not your thing.

You now have a break for weekend and only four left!
Rest, eat well, exercise and maybe get out and do something well away from work to have a change of scene/activity.

Decormad38 Fri 19-Jul-19 03:52:41

Have you put in mitigation for your essay? It may just give you a buffer. I'm a nurse lecturer but had similar feelings when I was a student nurse. Please keep going. You will feel entirely differently when you get into your proper job but also make sure you get leave before starting it. Also chat you your supervisor. They can be a support.

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Fri 19-Jul-19 08:51:52

I have a final attempt for the essay.

timemanagement Mon 22-Jul-19 09:10:00

How are you doing OP?

Knitwit99 Mon 22-Jul-19 09:14:17

You're focussing on your current placement which is not going so well. If your acute placement had been your last you would be feeling much better because that one suited you and you enjoyed it.
Once you are qualified you can look for things that suit you again. This is temporary, it really is.
How's your essay going?

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Mon 22-Jul-19 19:04:03

Thanks everyone.

I have 2 placement days left. Just 2.

I haven't looked at my essay. I have until October. I finish on Wednesday and I am going to sit in my garden with a book on Thursday and Friday. I have booked my wee one into nursery.

You are right. My last placement was amazing and I just loved it. I should not compare the two. I have applied to work there and hope to get my first job there.

I can't get over how tired I feel. My brain has just had enough.

Looking forward to Wednesday. Blisssssssss

Knitwit99 Wed 24-Jul-19 15:36:25

Last day Bryan ?
How are you feeling? Hope the sun stays out for you tomorrow

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Wed 24-Jul-19 19:22:17

Thanks for thinking of me. Yes I finished this afternoon at 430pm. Saw all my patients, wrote all the notes, completed referrals and left a to pile for follow up. Feels weird knowing that I never need to put on my student nurse uniform ever again.

My brain is tired. Glass of wine for me I think

timemanagement Wed 24-Jul-19 22:06:34

Hope you get a few days off to recharge your batteries, OP.

ohfourfoxache Wed 24-Jul-19 22:53:27

Congratulations! You got through it, you should be bloody proud of yourself thanks

Knitwit99 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:23:34

Congratulations. You've done something amazing.
Enjoy the sunshine and the break. Much deserved.

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 28-Jul-19 15:38:23

Hope you've enjoyed your 2 days of peace. Feeling better about it all now?

Sound like the last one really just wasn't suited and that's fine and you still did it. Well done flowers

user1483387154 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:45:02

I have so much respect for you. such an exhausting career. you can do it!

Troels Wed 31-Jul-19 21:18:22

Well done, you never need to set foot on that bad placement ward ever again. Find somewhere you really love to work and aim for that.
Get that last essay done early or you'll leave it to the last minute and feel stressed. I used to make myself sit and type every moring at 9am when Dd went to school I would give up most days at noon, and do other things. You can do this, you already did 3 years.

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Thu 01-Aug-19 00:24:20

Thanks everyone. I have drank my fill of gin and fumed. That placement is out of my system.

Tonight I'm on a nightshift as a health care assistant and will do 3-4 long shifts a week and have started a fresh with my essay and will keep going until I fight my way through it.

I had a big blow out on new bedding so I can be happy when I crawl into bed 😂

Orangepancakes Thu 01-Aug-19 00:38:48

Well done! And buying bedding as a treat is a great idea. Nothing like getting into fresh, new sheets!

ThreeFish Thu 01-Aug-19 00:45:57

Well done! You’ll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »