Talk

Advanced search

What would you do in this situation (if anything)

(16 Posts)
LipstickforFish Sat 12-Jan-19 13:23:29

Young couple next door, one year old baby, she has recently gone back to work. They work alternate shifts so childcare is split between them and family. I know her enough to occasional talk on social media, but we aren't friends.

He has quite a temper - he plays video games when she isn't there and full on screaming, shouting, swearing, banging - it's ridiculous. They argue quite a lot as well as it's the same sort of behaviour.

Yesterday, she went to work, he looked after the baby. Every time the baby cried, he would start screaming at it "shut the fuck up", the crying went on for ages as it sounded like he put the baby in another room and ignored it as the crying became like sobbing when babies become inconsolable. This happened every time the baby cried, he sounded really angry and the screaming and swearing was horrendous. We have a toddler so I know how testing they can be, but this was beyond that - i was actually contemplating either going over and asking him what the hell he was doing or contacting her to tell her.

I decided against it as either way would end in trouble as I would be accusing him of neglect/abuse.

I think she would be horrified if she knew he was acting like this whilst caring for the baby.

If it happens again, I think something will need to be said (both from the aspects of I am concerned for the baby but also that he is subjecting us to all of this noise) but I am interested in others opinions. Would you ignore it, say something? Would you gone over?

FissionChips Sat 12-Jan-19 13:28:33

I’d be reporting it to social services.

sausageees Sat 12-Jan-19 13:30:37

Report to NSPCC

Gazelda Sat 12-Jan-19 13:38:06

Call the NSPCC. Today, don't wait for it to happen again.

Seeleyboo Sat 12-Jan-19 13:54:08

Social services but if you're that concerned, I know I would be at witnessing that level of aggression towards a 1 year old, is call 101. Imagine how frightened that little child must be. Also record it if you can on your phone.

Aprilshowerswontbelong Sat 12-Jan-19 13:56:06

Message her on social media suggesting she comes home at once.
Suggest she doesn't let on to him she is returning.
Or ring the police.

CrazyOldBagLady Sat 12-Jan-19 13:56:23

My stomach knotted reading that, the poor baby, it must be terrified, please report this OP.

londonmummy2 Sat 12-Jan-19 14:12:14

That poor poor baby 😢 Definitely call social services.

LipstickforFish Sat 12-Jan-19 14:16:07

Thanks, I think I am going to report it to social services or NSPCC. Least that way it's reported but they won't know it's me.

I always knew he had a bit of a temper but I didn't think he would behave like that to his own child.

Aprilshowerswontbelong Sat 12-Jan-19 14:47:27

Do it now. Men have been charged for murdering dc for crying during games times. It is serious op.
Poor woman also, no idea her baby is at such risk.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 12-Jan-19 14:54:54

I would record it if possible so there is proof before you report it.

sparklefarts Sat 12-Jan-19 16:27:16

Would definitely report this. Please say you did?

covetingthepreciousthings Sat 12-Jan-19 19:18:15

Have you reported it OP? Please report it sooner rather than later, you never know what might happen in those circumstances.

I would definitely report this, it turned my stomach reading it, that poor baby. sad

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sat 12-Jan-19 20:54:27

I'd call the police, quite frankly. That level of aggression towards a crying baby is actually frightening.

HollowTalk Sat 12-Jan-19 20:56:24

I would have called the police. He could really hurt that poor baby.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 14-Jan-19 17:39:14

Jesus, op, this is when you call the police! A baby is at massive risk when left alone with a young man who is enraged and has no self-control. He could end up killing this baby. Call the police, call social services, and tell the mother. Tell anyone you have to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: