Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Charity shop clothes

(39 Posts)
Ginismyfriendx Wed 20-Jun-18 21:06:50

Bought a gorgeous dress from charity shop this afternoon, fits like a dream a £80 dress for £5. So doing cartwheels
However.. it would be perfect for an event tomorrow. No way I can get it washed and dried in time. Friend who once volunteered in charity shop says they’re steam cleaned, cleaner than a shop floor etc.
However I’ve never worn charity shop/eBay finds without at least putting them through a 60 degree wash.
Am I being over zealous? Thoughts???

cornishmumtobe Wed 20-Jun-18 21:07:44

If it looks and smells fresh and clean I would just wear it.

letsallhaveanap Wed 20-Jun-18 21:09:20

Overzealous. It wont do you any harm at all! They do usually steam clean things as I worked in one as a teen and steamed cleaned the clothing... So it may smell a little musty/charity shop like! but actually the things ARE clean... its always nice to have things smelling of your own washing powder etc but if you dont have time it really wont do any damage to wear it as it is.. just put some perfume on if you dont like the steam cleaner smell

Racecardriver Wed 20-Jun-18 21:09:32

I used to work in a charity shop as a teenager. Nothing was washed ever. But obviously most decent people wash before sending the stuff in and anything that looked/smelled dirty was either thrown away.

Racecardriver Wed 20-Jun-18 21:10:24

When I do buy stuff deck D hand I usually just wear it. Wouldn't buy it if I thought that it was dirty.

ItsNachoCheese Wed 20-Jun-18 21:12:37

The shop wont of put out dirty clothes to sell its fine. Wear the dress and have a great night

letsallhaveanap Wed 20-Jun-18 21:13:33

wow which charity shop did you work in Racecardriver? I worked in 'Shelter' and we had to steam clean absolutely everything that we put out to sell... I also had to clean childrens toys and vividly remember having to clean round the buttons on this musical thing with a toothbrush and antiseptic lol!
They were pretty thorough.

likeacrow Wed 20-Jun-18 21:13:37

Charity shop has told me in past that no way do they have time to wash stuff. But I do wash stuff I donate personally.
Depends how bothered you are about it potentially not being washed...

Racecardriver Wed 20-Jun-18 21:14:14

St Vincent de Paul's

NerrSnerr Wed 20-Jun-18 21:14:16

I'd just wear it if it's clean and doesn't smell.

Ginismyfriendx Wed 20-Jun-18 21:20:25

Thanks all! I’m not overly obsessed with things being clean looks at skirt I’m wearing that was fished off bedroom floor this morning but have always routinely put second hand stuff in a hot wash. Think it comes from my mother putting library books in the oven smile
Will febreeze and wear and try not to think of sweaty armpits and fleas

keepingbees Wed 20-Jun-18 21:23:34

Is it dry clean only? Otherwise I would put it through a quick wash and sure it would be dry by the next day in this weather.
If you can't though, if it smells/looks clean then wear it. Most the stuff bought new in shops has been tried on. I would air it though to make sure you get rid of the charity shop smell.

Freetogo Wed 20-Jun-18 21:26:58

You can buy 'dry clean' sheets that you put in the tumble drier.

I would hang it outside myself.

Namethecat Wed 20-Jun-18 21:27:40

Put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer overnight. (Folded nicely) As long as it's not wet/damp already it will not freeze. But on the very small chance their are any live nasties on it - that will kill it off.
It also works for soft toys as well.

Ginismyfriendx Wed 20-Jun-18 21:28:35

@keepingbees I would but my washing machine is of the ‘If a job is worth doing properly, it must take 2 hours’ way of thinking sad

BeefyCakes Wed 20-Jun-18 21:29:28

Chuck it in the dryer on cool with a few dryer sheets, it'll be fine.

AttilaTheMusical Wed 20-Jun-18 21:31:00

Wait... what? Your mother put library books in the oven?

EspressoButler Wed 20-Jun-18 21:31:01

Library books in the oven? grin

Ginismyfriendx Wed 20-Jun-18 21:31:39

Don’t have a tumble dryer unfortunately sad
@namethecat this might be the worlds most stupid question, but would that not send the nasties to sleep? Only to wake up again in the blaring sunshine shock images of turning into live art type installation

Ginismyfriendx Wed 20-Jun-18 21:33:36

Yes, library books got a baking. Apparently to stop us kids getting cholera or diphtheria or similar (I’m 37 for context. Not 97 grin)
One of those childhood things you never thought to question

Willow2017 Wed 20-Jun-18 21:45:23

I volunteered in a chiarity shop recently, watched them steam cleaning stuff and ironing it. It will be fine.

GerdaLovesLili Wed 20-Jun-18 21:47:59

Freeze it. Kills most things.

speakout Wed 20-Jun-18 21:48:15

Your problem is your washing machine, not your dress.

You can hand wash it and put it in a spin cycle. It would be dry by tomorrow.

I bought myself a dress today, it's a winter jersey dress from Monsoon, cost £1.
Today I have successfully washed my OHs suit jacket, my DDs pale pink suede campus Adidas trainers and my new woolen dress in the washing machine.
Dress and jacket together, shoes on their own.

15 minute cold cycle.
Everything came up perfectly.

I wouldn't buy a machine that didn't have a very quick cold wash.

LilQueenie Wed 20-Jun-18 21:52:16

You could always mist it over with perfume possibly. even air it for a little first. Should be pretty fresh then.

speakout Wed 20-Jun-18 21:54:06

How long is your spin cycle OP?

It will be a lot less than 2 hours.

Hand washing will take 5 minutes, quick spin, hang up to dry.

I don;t see the problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: