Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

Would you find this embarrassing?

(22 Posts)
CheersMum Tue 12-Jun-18 23:02:07

Namechanged because it’s about Facebook and don’t want my usual name connected to it.

My mum has tagged me in a FB post along with 2 other family members. (One who I am NC with) It’s a competition to win a full house clean with a local cleaning company. In the tag with my name she has said “just what you always wanted”. I will say that when my youngest was born I had severe PND and was a lone parent and my house went to pot. However, I am very well now and my house is next to spotless. It’s lived in, I have Dc, one is tidy and one isn’t so there is always something to be tidied but generally I would be happy for my landlord to “pop in” unexpectedly at any time which for me suggests it’s pretty tidy. I actually really enjoy cleaning, to the extent that it is now my job! grin Yes, I clean people’s houses for a living, and here is my mother telling all and sundry that my house is a pigsty! People who I clean for may very well see this post and think I’m filthy! And why on earth would I want a company who is essentially my competition to come into my house when I am already a cleaner!! Am I alone in thinking this is a really weird thing for her to do? I’m really embarrassed that people will think I can’t clean my own house. I’m considering deleting my mum off Facebook. blush

grumpy4squash Tue 12-Jun-18 23:05:57

Can you post with "I can do it better!" with a link to your cleaning business?

CheersMum Tue 12-Jun-18 23:08:23

I don’t even want to acknowledge or draw any attention to it. I don’t have a website or FB page. All my work comes from word of mouth recommendations. I haven’t had to advertise in 6 years. (Must be doing something right)

statetrooperstacey Tue 12-Jun-18 23:13:39

You are overthinking this. With these Facebook competitions you usually have to tag share and comment, so she is just making an inane comment in order to fulfill the criteria. That's all.

Monty27 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:14:04

I don't think linking a business on here is permissible. I will watch to see how long it takes to have your link deleted should you post it wink
Good luck though smile

Rocinante1 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:14:57

I wouldn't think those things about you if I saw your mum's comment. I'd think "she had to clean for a living, wouldn't it be nice if she didn't have to go home and clean too".

FabulouslyFab Tue 12-Jun-18 23:17:48

Mum could maybe mean it would give you a break after cleaning for others. Like a treat?
I do wonder if you are being a little over sensitive- just laugh it off x

CheersMum Tue 12-Jun-18 23:20:07

I don’t mind her tagging me because I know you usually have to tag 3 people. It’s the comment. I probably am over sensitive about it.

That’s a nice way of looking at it roacinate, I hope that’s what people think!

hmm oh monty, do tune in. No-one is linking my (non-existent) business page here. grumpy was suggesting I link it under the FB post I was tagged in.

CheersMum Tue 12-Jun-18 23:21:32

Thanks everyone. I will forget about it. I know my mum won’t have meant anything bad by it.

showerfire Tue 12-Jun-18 23:23:58

I don't think her comment means she is telling people your house is a pigsty! To me it reads that you work hard cleaning so it would be nice for you to get a break for once

BackforGood Tue 12-Jun-18 23:31:05

You are completely over thinking this.

First, she hasn't told anyone your house is a pigsty.
I can drive, but I'd still like to win a chaffeur driven top of the range car ride to a night out. I can cook, but I'd still like a meal out at a top venue. I have a friend who is a great seamstress, but she'd still appreciate someone else trating her to a plush outfit. If there were any implication, it's that she'd like to treat you to a few days off.
However, as pp has said, to "enter" these things, you just have to give the company a bit of free advertising by tagging a couple of people you know. You don't actually have to sit and think who would like it.
Thirdly - keep you business FB page and your personal FB page unconnected, and no-one will see what your Mum posts or tags you in.

BackforGood Tue 12-Jun-18 23:31:48

x-posted with LOADs of you grin

CheersMum Tue 12-Jun-18 23:33:27

I dont have a FB business page. Some of my clients were/are people I knew before they were my clients so they are FB friends.

Timeisslippingaway Wed 13-Jun-18 07:28:23

I would be pissed off if my mum did this. I used to be a cleaner aswell so I can imagine how you are feeling.
You should say something like, oh a day off at last!

bimbobaggins Sun 17-Jun-18 19:24:35

I wouldn’t be pissed off with it. Did you know you can change your bib settings so that you are notified and have to agree before you can be tagged in something

bimbobaggins Sun 17-Jun-18 19:24:50

Fb not bib

junglebookisthebest Sun 17-Jun-18 19:32:03

Ps. You can change your settings so no tagged posts go on your time line u til you have approved them - I have this as I seem to get tagged into all sorts of crap...

CheersMum Sun 17-Jun-18 19:34:16

Thank you both! I’m off to change my settings.

Sleephead1 Sun 17-Jun-18 19:36:25

I would think it was because that was your job so you do it l day so wouldn't it be lovley if some one did it for you for a change

Echobelly Sun 17-Jun-18 19:41:06

Might she just think you'd like a break from cleaning yourself? That's how I'd read it. If she'd said 'It's just what you need' that might imply you were untidy, but I think I'd just read that as saying you're busy and might want a break from tidying yourself.

CheersMum Sun 17-Jun-18 19:43:00

Yes I think that’s the intention behind it. I’ve forgotten all about it tbh. I was just mortified at the time but I know there was nothing implied in her post.

fourfuckssake4 Wed 20-Jun-18 20:58:27

Personally, i would be well chuffed,, my home isn't minging but could cope with a one off clean. If you win can I have your prizegrin getting back to the post, I can understand why you are upset as you think it is a attack on yourself. Don't be embarrassed and accept the clean if you win. Saves you doing it that week and you can see how the competition does !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: