Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

How to deter cats from the front garden?

(7 Posts)
RedBlu Tue 12-Jun-18 13:18:31

Someone around here has a new cat who has decided that our front garden (covered with stones/pebbles with various plants and trees) and our front doormat is their toilet/scratching area.

Our doormat is being destroyed as it keeps using it as a scratching mat. We only realised what was happening last week after noticing our doormat kept getting moved in the night!

It has also been using our front garden as a toilet so we keep finding cat poo amongst the plants.

I tried using lemons/citrus to deter it by squeezing lemon juice on the doormat and around the path but that didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?! I love cats, we have two but they are indoor cats - but I don't want someone's cat crapping on my garden and destroying my doormat!!

Kidssendingmenuts Tue 12-Jun-18 13:22:25

Firstly remove the mat. Now they have used it they will constantly come back to it as it will now have their scent on it. So chuck it.
If yours are indoor cats maybe one of those cat repellants that emits a high pitch upon movement and scares them away. I'm unsure if this will annoy your indoor cats though. X

WingsofNylon Wed 13-Jun-18 21:50:40

Garlic. Powder form on the gravel and if you really want to deter them grow some wild garlic. Keep in mind the cat doesn't know any better.

bluerunningshoes Wed 13-Jun-18 21:55:12

yes to garlic or chilli powder.
needs to be re-applied after rain.
also think the mat needs to go (unless it's one that can go in the washer)

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:09

Please don't do the High pitched noise thing. Our neighbours don't like our cats in their garden which is fair enough, So they have installed the noise thing and it's bloody annoying. A high pitched whistle which isn't that noticeable during the day but very noticeable at night. Neighbours are older and they can't hear it but we can.

I've suggested instead that they get a cheap waterpistol and spray the cats with water whenever they venture I go the garden which will hopefully put them off!

moreismore Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:55

For the garden we have used some stuff with lion urine in it called ‘silent roar’ - I was dubious but seems to have worked!

For the front door... water pistol?!

RedBlu Thu 14-Jun-18 08:46:33

I won't be using a high pitched thing as it would probably annoy our own cats inside the house!

I am thinking about getting some planters and planting some herbs which apparently cats don't like the smell of - least that way it would look nice anyway!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: