Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

WWYD re lie

(8 Posts)
UtterTerror Mon 11-Jun-18 22:20:26

NC for this one.

A former colleague is coming back to the place I work next week. He previously worked there for six months, left for six and has applied and been accepted to come back.

This morning he told me and others that, when he was first employed, he lied about his experience and one of his two references was falsified. He also hinted that one of his new references was not 100% accurate. He was positively crowing about it.

The role we are in requires honesty and integrity. Had the recruiter known he had no experience and that the reference was falsified he would never have been employed in the first place, which means that he wouldn't be in a position to come back.

I have no idea what to do. It feels like collusion to not say anything to my boss. I truly believe that integrity is fundamental to the job we do. I also know that if I do say anything it will be obvious where it came from and I risk being ostracised from my team. I don't know what my boss could do now anyway.

There is also a very minor chance that this person has lied to see what would happen.

I need some MN wisdom please.

TasteTheBloodyRainbow Tue 12-Jun-18 05:18:33

Does this lie put anyone at risk? So is it as bad as a nurse lying about qualifications and experience and putting the public at risk, or an estate agent who's supposedly the best there is, but never sold a house?

That said, I think I'd have to say something. I'd let your manager know discreetly. It's easy enough to check up on references, and also quite standard.

ElderflowerWaterIsDelish Tue 12-Jun-18 05:52:39

I would tell the boss, but ass the boss to make sure that the person knew it didn't come from you...

The boss could say to him he checked his references and found that one on the list isn't backing up what he has put on his CV, and papers to be falsified and that his new reference isn't matching what his CV says...

There's no way he will know it comes from you, he should expect them to check his references, and if he has lied then he should know there is a chance he could get caught...don't cover for him, if he is found out later and says that you knew then you could get in trouble with your boss for covering it up

greendale17 Tue 12-Jun-18 09:54:00

I would also tell your manager

UtterTerror Tue 12-Jun-18 13:24:00

Thank you. I'm furious that I've been put in this position. Why tell people?!

LoveProsecco Wed 13-Jun-18 08:51:51

I agree with reporting this. In additional to the risk to the company there may be consequences to you if it's later discovered you and others knew about this.

TwitterQueen1 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:54:55

Yes, agree with everyone else. Now that you know about it you have to do something otherwise you are potentially culpable too. And it will prey on your mind.

Yoksha Wed 13-Jun-18 10:38:53

This may help you OP.

www.shoosmiths.co.uk/client-resources/legal-updates/How-to-deal-with-employees-lying-about-their-qualifications-8212.aspx

All the best. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: