Talk

Advanced search
Threads in this topic will auto-delete 30 days after the OP is posted. Threads posted here are visible to search engines and will appear in Active discussions until they are auto-deleted.

13yr old girl and 3hrs babysitting

(72 Posts)
AmazinglyGrace Fri 25-May-18 21:13:13

Thoughts please. My friends 2nd eldest daughter is 13 1/2. She is a lovely kid, very bright, intelligent and sensible. I am in need of a babysitter next Saturday 12-3pm. Would it be inappropriate to offer this babysitting to her at 13 1/2yrs old? It's to look after my daughter of 3 1/2yrs old, who has met friends daughter before and played beautifully together in a park. She was so gentle with my daughter, and looked after her lovely (I was there and it was just chance that friends daughter took my daughter under her wing). If you were her mum would you let her or would this be an inappropriate offer? I'm not sure as I don't have older daughters myself so not sure how to gauge it! Thankyou.

Puffycat Fri 25-May-18 21:18:47

Hi OP, eeeeeerm, I’m going to go with a no. My DD is 15 and I wouldn’t want her looking after a toddler, and if my DD was 3 I wouldn’t want a 15 yo looking after her. I’m probably in the minority so ..........
Obviously it depends on the individual

AmazinglyGrace Fri 25-May-18 21:20:59

My daughter turns 4 this September so not really a toddler. As I say, the 13.5yr old is very mature, sensible etc and it's a day babysit too.

Iloveantiques Fri 25-May-18 21:22:51

Nope. I have a 13.5 yr old and she's not ready to babysit for that long, especially not a toddler.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Fri 25-May-18 21:24:19

Hell no. Day sit makes it worse.

Shesaysso Fri 25-May-18 21:24:44

My DD is the same age and very responsible however I’d be very unsure of leaving her with a child that age even though I’m sure she would probably be fine. I think really unless it was an emergency she needs to be a bit older really.

TeenTimesTwo Fri 25-May-18 21:24:56

I own a 13yo, but she is young for her age. No way would I let her babysit for 3 hours. It is the 'what if something went wrong' scenario for me. My DD wouldn't be able to cope in a crisis.
e.g. what if your DD
- fell and hurt herself
- choked on some food
- threw a temper tantrum

AmazinglyGrace Fri 25-May-18 21:25:04

@ChaChaChaCh4nges. Does it? Why?

AmazinglyGrace Fri 25-May-18 21:25:50

These are all interesting replies.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 25-May-18 21:26:51

Because they are awake, instead of sleeping soundly, obviously.

I’ve just started leaving my ds who’s 14 in charge of dd aged 7.

FogCutter Fri 25-May-18 21:26:51

No way would I let a 13 yo look after a 3yo. Not confident they would be able to cope appropriately in an emergency and at 3 a child still needs so much looking after.

Polly99 Fri 25-May-18 21:27:48

Well, I did look after a toddler when I was this age (actually a bit younger I think) and all was fine. But my mum was next door for the first several times, and maybe people were more relaxed about things like that in the 80s.
I wonder if you could take your DD to her house and pay her to look after her there?

ChaChaChaCh4nges Fri 25-May-18 21:28:04

Because I’d expect a 3 year old to be asleep all evening, but to be awake and need entertaining/feeding/possibly changing during the day.

HeedMove Fri 25-May-18 21:28:12

No I wouldnt personally of my 13 year old.

HeedMove Fri 25-May-18 21:28:27

Why not ask the friend?

Smellylittleorange Fri 25-May-18 21:29:27

I thought there was a law you couldnt leave a child under 14 in charge of another?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 25-May-18 21:29:58

No, no law. This misinformation always pops up.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Fri 25-May-18 21:30:19

Sorry op but no. If you daughter was asleep then possibly but not during the day.

LastOneDancing Fri 25-May-18 21:31:30

If the babysitters mum was next door and the 3yo was in bed asleep, yes maybe.

If the 3yo was going to the babysitters house where her mum was (so mum would be overseeing) yes.

But no, I wouldn't put the full responsibility of a 3yo - not even my very lovely sensible one - on a very young teen.

AmazinglyGrace Fri 25-May-18 21:32:36

@ChaChaChaCh4nges

She wouldn't need feeding or changing, she's perfectly capable of using the toilet but I get where you're coming from.

@Polly99

Not sure she would be able to go your her house as friend has 4 kids and 2 dogs and my daughter has never been there.

PatriciaHolm Fri 25-May-18 21:33:18

I have a sensible 13.5 year old and no I wouldn't be happy with that. It's too much responsibility for 3 hours.

Ninchninch Fri 25-May-18 21:33:42

I used to baby sit and that age. Sometimes 2 at a time. If you think she can handle it do it. But if you have any reservations I wouldn't go ahead. (Assuming you may as you have to ask the internet people)

MinaPaws Fri 25-May-18 21:34:15

I used to babysit for two hours after school three times a week when I was twelve. But I was pretty rubbish at it - I couldn't control the kids I looked after at all. They went wild.

RB68 Fri 25-May-18 21:38:04

Just ask if you are Happy - if her Mum is only round the corner then I don't think there is a massive issue. I had to wait till I was 14 which was fine for other peoples kids but not brothers and sisters in my view - they were the nightmare

greenlynx Fri 25-May-18 21:38:45

I would say it's very much depends on 13 years old and 3 years old. What they are going to do? How easily it would be to contact you in emergency? How quickly you would be able to come back? Will your DD needs help at the toilet? This sort of questions. If your DD could draw for an hour, then have juice and a biscuit, then play with dolls for another hour she might enjoy older girl doing all this with her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: